Memphis Police Officer Requirements
The Memphis Police Department is continually recruiting for competitive applicants. To join the MPD, potential law enforcement officers must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a US citizen
- Possess a valid drivers license
- Have at least 54 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university OR five years of responsible work history and earn an associates degree within four years of hire OR two years of continuous active military service with an honorable discharge
- Have no guilty pleas or convictions on disqualifying misdemeanors or felonies
Candidates who meet the minimum requirements stated above may apply to the department. Qualified candidates will be contacted to take a physical assessment test and a written exam that tests basic knowledge. Candidates invited to the next stage of the hiring process must also pass a behavioral interview, psychological exam, and a medical assessment, as well as a thorough background check. Top applicants will be invited to recruit training at the Memphis Police Training Academy.
For more information about becoming a law enforcement officer in a big city, check out 10 Steps to Becoming a Police Officer on our home page. For more recruitment information, visit the MPD application page.
Now Accepting Applications For August 2022 Academy
Please click on lick below “Apply Now” for application
**Due to COVID-19 Safety protocols anyone not vaccinated will be required to wear mask while inside any city facility, this includes while attending the physical agiltliy testing.
Upcoming dates for Physical Agility Test
The written exam will be changed to an electronic version. Click on written exam sample below to be better prepared for the test.
If Police Cadet is not listed please complete a Job interest card and you will be notified when the application is available online
Do you want to be part of The Scenic City’s Finest?
There is no other profession that is more rewarding than being a professional police officer. The Chattanooga Police Department is actively seeking qualified applicants to train as police officers. If you have integrity, good judgment, strong communication skills, and a commitment to making a difference in the lives of citizens in Chattanooga, we’re looking for you.
The Selection Process
On average, the selection process lasts about six months. All applicants must successfully pass each of the following phases in order to qualify for the academy:
- Complete the application and return all required documents.
The Chattanooga Police Department does accept Laterl Entry for certified police officers.
All candidates shall be currently or previously certified law enforcement officers. Such certification may be from any state.
- Criminal law
Career And Employment Outlook For Cops In Cookeville
Selecting a profession is a significant decision. One of the main things to consider while deliberating is the outlook of the occupation. The occupational outlook of every job is normally dispensed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The components that are taken into account while foreseeing this comprise of the necessity of that job in the future and the spending patterns of employers. Lets see what the career outlook of a cop look likes.
Back in 2014 cops, there were around 806,000 jobs occupied by law enforcement officers. This is projected to increase by around 4% in the coming decade. This rate of expansion is more lethargic than the median of other professions. This is understood to be that 33,000 fresh jobs will be generated for law enforcement officers. Seeing that law enforcement officers are for the most part hired by the legislature, their employment to a great extent relies on upon the political circumstance in a district. A few urban communities might choose to devote more money to law enforcement officers and at the same time others might desire to guide their financial plan to different types of development.
Also Check: Why We Should Not Defund The Police
Tennessee Law Enforcement Certification Standards
The State of Tennessee has set down the application requirements for police officers in writing and on the Internet, and it is similar to those in other states. However, the police academy requirements in Tennessee may have some variations depending on which particular department you file your application. In general though:
- You must be a US citizen
- Have a valid Tennessee drivers license
- Provide a criminal history disclosure and agree to release all pertinent records
- Running around an obstacle course
- Climbing fences or walls
- Lift heavy objects
The training sessions and routines are dependent of age and gender so variations when it comes to the number of reps should be expected. Aside from an intensive physical training program, your training will include learning how to use weapons, simulate different crime situations and handle different scenarios that require a great deal of physical agility and endurance. Because the demands of the job are high, only those who pass all the tests will be accepted into the academy.
How Much Does A Police Officer Make In Cookeville Tennessee
Police officers are one of the hardest working people. They literally lay down their lives as a part of their job. However, their pay isnt that great when compared to others like Physicians or Veterinarians. They are privy to a lot of paybacks being a police officer, though. A law enforcement officers salary is controlled by several things like the location he is working in, how many hours he/she works, and what unit he is working under. Now we will use this chance to reveal to you the typical salary of dissimilar law enforcement officials and show how they can earn more.
Also Check: Why We Need Police Reform
Join The Gallatin Tn Police Department
Last year alone, the men and women of the Gallatin Police Department responded to over 56,000 dispatched calls for service to assist the citizens we serve. The department is divided in to 3 divisions. The Patrol Division handles day to day calls for service including traffic enforcement. Criminal Investigations handle felony crime and narcotics investigations. Employees assigned to the Professional Standards division handle a variety of issues including training for the department, community relations and property maintenance issues. Police officers patrol a 32 square-mile jurisdiction protecting more than 40,000 people who live, work and play in Gallatin.
Proposal To Review Police Agreement
Some board members expressed concern with the mayorâs June 12 date versus the timeline proposed by Watson. Watsonâs proposed timeline runs through September, allowing time to gather input from community members.
The board discussed alternate options for the resolution, including changing the schedule and options for the committees.
Watson said the board has considered agreements in the past after two different school shootings that made national news. He said that while he didnt create the resolution because of the recent death of Anthony Thompson Jr., he said this incident could be another reason to reconsider the agreement.
I think some in our community would say there has been an inciting event where it makes sense to relook at the , he said.
The move for more community input is especially relevant as Knoxville continues to respond to the aftermath of a police officer shooting and killing Thompson.
He said everyone wants students to feel safe but itâs important that community members are able to share their experiences on what would make their families feel safe.
Donât Miss: How Do You Make A Police Report Online
Recommended Reading: How To File A Police Report For Id Theft
Career And Employment Outlook For Cops In Crossville
Choosing a career is a very important decision. One of the major things to factor in while doing so is how the future looks in the profession. The career outlook of any job is usually given by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The factors that come into play while predicting this include the future need for that profession and the spending nature of the employers. Let us look at the career prospects for a police officer.
Beginning in 2014, there were approximately 806, 000 jobs taken by cops. This is expected to rise by about 4% in the next 10 years. This rate of expansion is more lethargic than the median of other professions. This translates to 33,000 novel openings being produced for cops in the next ten years. Because cops are typically hired by the government, their employment is influenced a great deal by the political atmosphere in a region. A few cities might desire to allocate more of their budget to cops but others might funnel more of their finances into other types of development.
Criminal Investigations Division Units Within The Knoxville Police Department
According to the Knoxville Police Department, the Criminal Investigations Division houses the second largest staff in the department. Investigators work with specialists, technicians, supervisors and other law enforcement professionals promote the functionality of the CIDs five units:
- Violent Crimes Unit: Detectives assigned to the Violent Crimes Unit are responsible for handling reported crimes involving incidents of murder, rape, kidnapping, suspicious deaths, suicide, assault and robbery.
- Property Crimes Unit:Detectives assigned to the Property Crimes Unit have the authority over all criminal cases where property is a prominent factor.
- Family Crimes Unit:Detectives assigned to the Family Crimes Unit focus on offenses pertaining to child abuse, domestic violence. Mistreatment of the elderly, runaways, missing persons, and sexual abuse of minors.
- Organized Crime Unit:Detectives assigned to the Organized Crime Unit specialize in infiltrating organized crime groups that commit offenses such as drug trafficking, prostitution and gambling.
- Forensics Unit:Detectives assigned to the Forensics Unit are charged with the scientific elements involved in crime solving. These elements include: crime scenes, photographing, fingerprinting, polygraphing and NIBNS.
Don’t Miss: How To Get A Police Report Amended
Cookies And Similar Tracking Technologies Do Not Track
A cookie is a file containing an identifier that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser and device you use to access our Services. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Your Rights And Control Under Eu Gdpr
Data Controllers and Processors
Lawful Basis for Processing.
For personal information subject to GDPR, we rely on multiple legal bases for processing, including:
- Consent .
- When processing is necessary to perform a contract .
- Legitimate business interests such as developing the Services, marketing new features or products, proper administration of our website and business, ensuring safety and security.
- Where necessary to protect vital or public interests.
- As required by law.
EU Data Subject Rights
Data subjects in Europe whose information we receive through appropriate safeguards have legal rights to determine whether we hold personal data about them, to access personal data we hold about them, and to obtain its correction, update, amendment, or deletion in appropriate circumstances. In particular, your rights may include:
Recommended Reading: How To Get Police Clearance Certificate In Usa
One Dead Officer Wounded In Tennessee School Shooting
No one else was killed or wounded at Austin-East Magnet High School in Knoxville, a city about 180 miles east of Nashville, police said. A male has been detained. Police said they responded to the school around 3:15 p.m. and when they encountered a male with a gun, shots were fired.
Upon approach of the subject, shots were fired, Knoxville Police Department posted on Facebook. A Knoxville Police officer was struck at least one time and transported to the hospital with injuries that are not expected to be life-threatening.
Speaking from outside a hospital, Knoxville Mayor Indya Kincannon told WATE-TV that she spoke with the wounded officer and that he was conscious and in good spirits.
The police post said a male died at the school, which is not far from the citys zoo and Interstate 40. A map of the neighborhood shows the school is in a residential area.
Three students from Austin-East Magnet High School have been shot to death away from the campus less than three weeks apart this year, police said. Administrators have said students felt the arts magnet school was a safe space, according to a story in the Knoxville News Sentinel.
State Rep. Sam McKenzie, who represents the district and went to the school, said in a statement, I am at a loss to describe my sadness as yet another horrific act of gun violence has happened in my community, urging the community to reclaim the sanctity of our beloved neighborhood.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have additional data rights including:
Right to notice of collection
Weve provided details on what information is collected about you in Section 4 Information We Collect About You. However, to ensure compliance with CCPA, the following categories of information as defined by the CCPA have been collected over the past year:
- Direct identifiers such as your name, User ID, and email.
- Commercial information such as your transactions and purchases.
- Employment and education history information including when you submit a job application through our services or apply to a job at NEOGOV.
- Demographic data including your race, ethnicity, gender, marital status and any other demographic information requested by our Customers.
- Internet or other electronic network activity including your search history on our job board, analytics regarding your use, and device identifiers for location and security.
- Audio and electronic data including your signature and voice recordings collected with your consent while speaking to our support, sales, or product teams.
- Information inferred and derived from other categories to determine your preferences and trends.
You May Like: How To Find A Police Officer
Police Training Academies In Tennessee
All prospective law enforcement officers in Tennessee must complete a training course at a POST-approved law enforcement academy, typically the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy . Approved Tennessee police academies include:
- Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy Nashville, TN
- Cleveland State Community College Basic Police Academy Cleveland, TN
- Memphis Police Academy Memphis, TN
- Knoxville Police Department Training Division Knoxville, TN
- Metro Nashville Police Academy, Nashville TN
Prospective police trainees must typically be formally hired by a police department to attend a police academy. However, the academy will consider college seniors studying criminal justice with a recommendation from a counselor on a case-by-case basis. For more information about Tennessee police academies, visit the TLETA website.
Additional Application Requirements In Becoming A Police Officer In Tennessee
After successfully passing the physical ability testing and the written examinations, candidates will need to undergo an interview conducted by a panel of the police department members.
Besides the interview, candidates will be scheduled to complete:
- A polygraph examination
- A physical examination performed by a physician approved by the hiring police department
- A psychological examination with a minimum score of 90 on the intelligence portion
If all of the aforementioned phases are passed successfully, then the candidate will need an approval for employment from the Chief of Police and the City Administrator.
Recommended Reading: Can I Be A Part Time Police Officer
Process To Become A Mt Juliet Reserve Police Officer
- Attend an informational meeting during an open application period, typically held biannually and announced.
- During an open application period, complete a pre-application and authorize an initial background and driving history review.
- Complete a physical agility screening that consists of the TN Law Enforcement Training Academy obstacle course, one minute of push-ups, and one minute of sit-ups.
- Be selected by an interview panel that consists of a Command Staff member, the Reserve Program Coordinator, and other individuals.
- Complete a comprehensive background application and submit to a thorough background investigation, conducted over a 45-day period.
- Accept an invitation and successfully complete the Mt. Juliet Police Department Reserve Academy that consists of over 120 hours of mandatory classroom and practical training over a 12-15 week period.
- Purchase approximately $2,000 of personal patrol equipment during the training period.
- Following the Reserve Academy, new Reserve Officers must complete the Field Training Program that consists of 480 hours, completed in 8-hour shift increments with a Field Training Officer.
Minimum Requirements To Be A Police Officer In Tennessee
Read Also: Where Do I Get A Police Report