Report Crime Anonymously: Contact Crimestoppers
Crimestoppers is an independent charity working to solve and prevent crime. Its a way for people, who for whatever reason may be reluctant to tell Police what they know, to anonymously report information about crime and criminals via an independent third party. You can contact Crimestoppers anonymously when you know about a crime that has been, or is being committed, you suspect a crime is being planned, or any other activity you think is illegal. To report a crime anonymously:
- Fill in the secure online Giving information form.
Find out more on the Crimestoppers website.
What Does Peel Crime Stoppers Do With The Tips
Peel Crime Stoppers will forward the tip information to the appropriate police authorities. The Investigators will work hand-in-hand with the information, and will inform Peel Crime Stoppers on how the case is progressing. Therefore, it’s important for the caller to call back for an update on the case.
Reporting Crime In Person
Head to your local station to talk to the person at the front counter and they will tell you what to do next. You may be able to speak to an officer straight away.
Appointments arent always necessary, but to ensure someone will be there to assist you it is best to phone ahead – especially if your nearest station is a small or rural station. Call 105 to connect with your local station.
Recommended Reading: How Much Do Military Police Make
What You Should Tell The Police
Wherever possible you should tell the police:
- as much information as you can about the incident
- if you know who the victim is or how they might be able to contact them
- if you’re worried about your own or your family’s safety so that they can give you the right advice
- if you think the offence was aggravated by sectarian or racial abuse or hatred or any other form of hostility such as homophobia or based on disability
- details of any other witnesses
- how the crime has affected you
- your contact details, or any changes to your contact details in case the police or the Public Prosecution Service need to contact you again
- if you notice any further changes since the incident as to how the crime has affected you
You Cannot File A Report Online If
- A threat was made or violence was used during the incident. If you are in immediate danger, please dial 911. If you are no longer in danger, please call us at 613-236-1222, extension 7300.
- Evidence was left on the scene such as, but not limited to blood, tools, clothes or any item related to the incident. Please call 613-236-1222, extension 7300 to file a report.
- The incident being reported did not happen in Ottawa. Please contact the police service in the city where the incident happened to file a report.
- The stolen property is a passport
- The property lost is a cell phone, licence plate, bank card or government issued identification, with or without a serial number. Please contact your service provider to get a replacement.
Read Also: How Do I Get My Police Report Online
Choosing Not To Report The Crime
You dont have to report a crime to the police and there are many reasons people choose not to. You are still entitled to receive help and support to help you recover from what has happened.
However, if you do make a report, your information could be used to prevent future crimes and help keep people safe.
Should You Report A Crime Anonymously
If you are a victim of a crime or witness a crime, you may have second thoughts about reporting it. You may think reporting the crime is more trouble than it’s worth, as happened with the infamous murder of Kitty Genovese in the 1960s. But instead of ignoring the crime, you may want to consider reporting it anonymously.
Some of the benefits of reporting a crime anonymously are that it may encourage you to report it in the first place. Other benefits can include leaving you out of it.
However, there are some drawbacks to anonymous reporting as well.
For example, police may not be able to use you as a witness and could have a harder time finding the perpetrator.
Whether you want to anonymously report a crime is an individual decision you have to weigh. If you do choose to go this route, you should know there are typically several options to make an anonymous report:
In this day and age of surveillance cameras and Internet snoops, it may be nearly impossible to do anything, much less report a crime, anonymously. However, you should remember that reporting a crime is usually better than not reporting a crime at all.
Don’t Miss: How To Report Fraud To The Police Department
Complaints About Police Officers
If you have experienced police misconduct:
- Contact the law enforcement agency involved.
- Submit your complaint in writing to the chief of police or the head of the law enforcement agency involved.
- Send a copy of your complaint to the Internal Affairs Division of the law enforcement agency. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
If the problem remains unresolved, learn how to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division.
Finally, as with any potential legal dispute, you may want to contact a licensed attorney.
Report Information About Crime
You can report to Crime Stoppers about:
- People wanted by the Police
- Unsolved crimes and future crime that is being planned
- People you know who committed criminal offences where they have not been arrested
- Suspicious or unusual activity
Remember you can report your knowledge of criminal activity online , or by calling Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Read Also: What You Do To Become A Police Officer
How Do You Handle A Tailgater
Dont Get Tackled: How to Deal With Tailgaters Safely Keep your distance. The best way to deal with a tailgater is to stay away from them in the first place. Stay calm. Get out of the way. Maintain a consistent speed. Dont overuse your brakes. Dont become a tailgater yourself. Dont try to police the roadway.
Additional Reporting Information To Consider
When reporting drug activity, it will also help to keep the following in mind:
- To further ensure anonymity, callers can dial *67 before calling any agency or organization. This blocks the number of the caller.
- Reporting activity to the local police is also an option, but anonymity may be harder to keep.
- It is important to remember, when making a report, you may be asked to provide personal information, but this is completely voluntary. You have the right to remain anonymous if that is what you want.
Read Also: How To File A Police Report For Bank Fraud
But They Can Still Find You
If the police need you as a witness, you made a false police report, or you used the police to harass an ex, no method is 100-percent anonymous. Phone records can be subpoenaed and cell phone signals triangulated, and pay phones are often within camera range of nearby businesses.
About the Author
With degrees in fine and commercial art and Spanish, Ruth de Jauregui is an old-school graphic artist, book designer and published author. De Jauregui authored 50 Fabulous Tomatoes for Your Garden, available as an ebook. She enthusiastically pursues creative and community interests, including gardening, home improvement and social issues.
How Can I Report Anonymously
If you live in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, B& NES, North Somerset and Somerset you can report anonymously through Safe Link or if you attend The Bridge for support they can offer to help you with an anonymous report.
If you live outside of Bristol, South Gloucestershire, B& NES, North Somerset and Somerset you can click here to find out online anonymous reporting is available in your area.
If you are worried that someone else is being hurt you can anonymously report this through Crime Stoppers
You May Like: Can You Hire A Police Officer For Security
All Calls Are Confidential Call Blue Sky Centre On 0800 970 0370
What is Anonymous Reporting?
Anonymous reporting is information regarding your rape or sexual assault which, at your request, we can share with the police, without them knowing any of your personal details.
If you decide you dont want to report the rape or assault to the police, we will ask if you want to provide anonymous information to them. If you do we will write an account of what happened but without any of your details and submit this to the police -this helps them build up a picture about what is happening in their area but without knowing anything about you again, this is completely up to you.
Should you later want to talk to the police we can arrange this for you you can request an informal chat and they still dont need to know who you are. If you want to then formally report, this can be done we will support you through this and arrange it all for you but it is still your decision.
Why Report Anonymously?
Anonymous reporting is a really useful way of sharing information with the police when you dont want to be identified and you dont want to formally report the assault as a crime.
Bomb Threats By Telephone
If you receive a bomb threat over the telephone, Ready.gov provides the following information on what to do:
- Get as much information from the caller as possible. Try to ask the following questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
The Department of Homeland Security also provides a helpful telephone bomb threat checklist.
Get more information on what to do if you receive a bomb threat or find a suspicious item.
Recommended Reading: What Happens To Guns Confiscated By Police
Reports You Cannot Submit Online
- House and business break and enters
- Domestic disputes
- Theft of a vehicle
- Any type of fraud resulting in the loss of funds/personal information or property, including fraudulent use of debit or credit cards
- Incidents that involve lost / stolen citizenship cards, permanent resident cards, immigration documents, government cheques, or cash from the government
- Incidents involving firearms
- Stolen property for sale online such as on Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.
These crimes may require a dispatched call. Please phone the Police non-emergency line 266-1234.
FOR EMERGENCIES OR CRIMES IN PROGRESS CALL 9-1-1.
How Do You Anonymously Report Someone
Submit an anonymous tip to your local police department or FBI field office. Visit the website of the law enforcement agency in your town, city, or district and look for a link where you can go to report a crime. If youre unable to find one, head over to tips.fbi.gov and use the provided form to tell what you know.
Recommended Reading: How To Become A Police Officer In Huntsville Alabama
So Can You Make An Anonymous Noise Complaint To The Police
So youve decided to report the noise to the police, but you want to keep your identity a secret. Well, as you can imagine, most calls to the police start with introductions. However, the caller can also request to remain anonymous, but Im not sure that would be the best thing to do in this case.
After all, the officers are going to need all the context they can get. Additionally, if the noise cuts off before the officers get there, you may need to provide proof that it was ever there. You wouldnt want them to think that you wasted police resources.
Ultimately, its best to introduce yourself to the police before stating your case. You can always request that they not mention your name to the people who are making the noise. However, you may need to jump in if the police decide to charge the person with disturbing the peace. If that happens, you may need to act as a witness.
Usually, the question of your identity is only important if you want to lodge a formal complaint. If you want to go through with your report, I have one last piece of advice: dont call 911. Instead, take the time to look up the number your local police department uses to take non-urgent complaints. Hopefully, youll be able to keep your name off the record.
Now You Can Report Crime Municipal Issues & More Anonymously With This Mobile App
When it comes to reporting crime or complaining about municipal issues, many people are hesitant to do so because they are not sure who to approach and how. But that need not be the case anymore. An app, developed by an Indore-based engineer, is helping people across the country turn into citizen cops.
Have you ever been in a situation where someone broke a traffic rule while you stood watching? Or snatched a persons mobile phone and ran away while everyone stood still, unsure about the next step? Many of us choose to walk away when we come across such situations either because registering a complaint is a tedious process or because we are not sure who to approach and where exactly to find such a person. But what if you could become a citizen cop and complain about the issue at hand with just a few taps on your mobile phone?
Don’t Miss: How To Find Out If A Police Report Was Filed
What To Include In Your Tip
Any information you can provide to the authorities that will prevent further drug activity is absolutely helpful. The following are a few details that will ensure your anonymous tip is as effective as possible. If you have the information, try to include:
- The address where you suspect drug activity.
- Full names of the people you suspect.
- Related vehiclesmake, model, license plate.
- When people come and go, how long they stay, how often they appear.
- Information about any packages being exchanged.
- If the location is a house, provide the name of people living there.
- Are there children? Dogs?
What To Do If Someone Is Driving Recklessly
If you see someone driving recklesslywhether it be from texting, drunk or drowsy driving, being overly aggressive, or otherwise careless drivingreport it by calling 911. But only call if you feel its a dangerous situation. Remember, the 911 system is intended to render urgent assistance in true emergencies.
Don’t Miss: Can You Adopt Retired Police Dogs
How To Report Bad Drivers
If you see a reckless driver, help keep the roads safe by reporting them. To report the car immediately, pull over to a safe location and call the police. You will need to provide the police with a basic description of the car. This is the best option when the situation is life-threatening.
Why Would You Want To Stay Anonymous
Needless to say, . However, if you do end up having to get them involved, why wouldnt you want to have your name attached to the report? Well, there are a few reasons for it:
- You may not want to cause a problem for whoever is behind the noise. Attaching a name to the complaint would make you the focus, not the noise. Suddenly, youd be the witness, or worse, the victim of the public disturbance case.
- You dont want to anger the people who are causing the noise. Whether your relationship is already fraught or not, nothing good can come of them finding out that youre the one who tattled.
- Lastly, if you give your name to the police when you report the noise, you may be leaving yourself open to further inquiry. If you dont feel like answering extra questions or being the focus of a police investigation, you may want to keep your name out of it.
However, weve yet to answer the question we started out with so lets fix that.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does A Police Scanner Cost
How To Call The Police Anonymously
RUTH DE JAUREGUI
Remaining anonymous in our digital world isn’t easy, especially when you have to call the police. Whether you’re reporting a crime in progress, a meth house down the block, or a case of suspected child abuse, you might not want anyone to know that you were the one who did the right thing.
Explore this article
Submit A Crime Tip Anonymously
WeTip is committed to providing the most effective, anonymous citizens crime reporting hotline system in the nation. To report a crime anonymously online, all you need is to submit a crime tip. WeTip promises and ensures absolute anonymity, not just confidentiality. WeTip provides intelligence and information to local, state, federal and international law enforcement agencies relating to criminal activity obtained from an online and telephone crime reporting hotline.
Read Also: What’s The Cutoff Age To Be A Police Officer
Blocking Your Phone Number
If you call from your home or cell phone, you can use 67 to block your line. Your number will appear as a private or restricted number on the receiver’s caller ID. Simply type in 67 and then the entire phone number, including “1” plus the area code if the number is long distance. However, your number will not be blocked when calling 911 or toll-free numbers.