Police Department Request Form
If you cannot submit a police report request online or through the mail, then you will have to visit the police department in person and file a request there. Call beforehand since some departments only allow in-person requests on certain days. You can find your local police department here. Then you can find out about filling out a Police Department Request Form in person and how to get the information you need. Typically these police department request forms can be fulfilled that day.
A request will typically require you to provide your personal and contact information as well as details about the incident, including the type of incident, date, and who else was involved. Be aware that if the report pertains to an ongoing investigation then your request could be denied. If you are unclear about why your request was denied you should talk to an attorney.
How To Make Your Request
In most cases, you should make your request to your local police force which would hold records on local systems. However, if you would like access to information held on national police systems, such as the Police National Computer , you would need to contact ACRO.
If you no longer live in the UK, contact the police force for the area where you last lived.
If you have been in contact with the police because you were a witness or victim, or because of a traffic accident, then this information may not be available to other police forces. In these cases you should contact the police force you dealt with at the time.
Although you dont have to use them, police application forms will help you understand what details you need to provide so they can find the information you have requested. It will also outline what proof of ID they will need to see. For example, they may ask you when you have been in contact with the police and why, and whether you have lived in another part of the UK. You can make a request verbally or in writing. If you make your request verbally, we recommend you follow it up in writing to provide a clear trail of correspondence. It will also provide clear evidence of your actions.
When Does The Right Of Access Not Apply
Schedule 2, Part 2, Paragraph 14 of the Data Protection Act 2018 states that:
The listed GDPR provisions do not apply to personal data processed by an individual acting in a judicial capacity or a court or tribunal acting in its judicial capacity.
This means that, for example, a judge’s handwritten notes prepared for legal proceedings are exempt from disclosure under the right of access.
You cannot request personal data that forms part of a judicial decision or in documents relating to an investigation or proceedings which have been created by or on behalf of a court of other judicial authority. This is because there are other access routes through which you can obtain this information the Criminal Procedure Rules – which govern the disclosure of material for cases going through the court process.
The law also allows the police to withhold information in some circumstances. For instance, they can restrict your right to access if this is necessary for the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties.
In addition, the police may also have to edit the information they send you to remove information about other people.
Also Check: How Hard Is It To Be A Police Officer
How To Get A Police Report For A Car Accident
After you have been in a car accident, one of the first questions your insurance provider will ask you is do you have a copy of the police report? Obtaining accident reports is a similar process to the one above, but it is generally a bit easier because in most cases, there is no criminal investigation. If you are in a car accident, you will receive a slip with an incident number on it. To obtain your police report, simply visit the police department that the report was filed from and trade the sheet for the actual report. If you do not obtain your police report, your insurance company will have to request a copy via mail, and it will take a bit longer.
There are also resources online that house accident reports, like LexisNexis and Buycrash. However, the safest and quickest option to is visit your local Police Desk as soon as possible after the accident. Accident reports can be ready to pick-up as early as 24 hours after the accident, and up to a week. Another way to get a copy of a police report is through your local Department of Motor Vehicles.
Now that you know about how to get a copy of a police report, check out How To File a Police Report.
Damage/ Mischief To Property
Has someone damaged, defaced or vandalized public or private property? This may include:
- Breaking windows, mailboxes, throwing eggs, spray painting, writing or drawing on property.
- Accepted only if there are no known suspects.Please Note: If you were a victim of graffiti vandalism, paint vouchers and graffiti wipes are available for pick up at Police Headquarters.
Recommended Reading: How To Become A Metro Police Officer
To Exercise Your Right Of Access Follow These Steps:
- Identify where to send your request.
- Think about what personal data you want to access.
- Make your request directly to the organisation.
- State clearly what you want.
You might not want all the personal data that the organisation holds about you. It may respond more quickly if you explain this and identify the specific data you want.
What Is A Police Report
People file a police report with law enforcement for a wide variety of reasons such as domestic disputes, traffic accidents, burglaries, and home invasions, fraud, theft, stalking, violence, and many other reasons. To file a report, citizens usually begin by calling 911, or their local police departments non-emergency line, to report the incident.
Once a citizen reports an incident, dispatchers assign it to local officers in the area. The police officers travel to the appropriate location via car, motorcycle, or other police vehicles. Then, the officers evaluate the situation, make observations, interview witnesses, record data, and complete forms and reports required by their local police department.
Police officers also initiate the filing of a report to record the data and gather the details associated with criminal and civil incidents such as car accidents, burglaries, assaults, and robberies, just to name a few.
Officers gather and record a great deal of information and data on a police report. This is to help ensure thorough and accurate investigations and to support criminal proceedings if they become necessary. Also, background verification services may use them in background checks. The information contained in the typical police report may vary from county to county, but most capture very similar information.
Don’t Miss: How To Get My Police Record
When Should I Call Police Instead
- If you have a known suspect. If you know the name or address of the suspect, or if you know the license plate of the vehicle associated to the suspect, please contact Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311
- If the value of theft, loss or property damage is more than $10,000.00
- If your vehicle has been stolen
- If the incident occurred outside of Brampton or Mississauga. Please contact the police service responsible for the area in which the incident occurred
- If someone broke into, or attempted to break into your home, garage or business
- If this is the theft or loss of a firearm
- If this is related to any form of personal violence, including domestic violence.
- If this is related to any kind of vandalism or graffiti that could be hate motivated
- If this is related to a traffic complaint that is in progress
When Making An Access Request Include The Following Information:
- Your name and contact details.
- Any information used by the organisation to identify or distinguish you from other people with the same name .
- Any details or relevant dates that will help it identify what you want.
For example, you may want to ask for:
- your interview statements
- Keep a copy of your request.
- Keep any proof of postage or delivery.
Don’t Miss: How To View Police Reports Online
Why Am I Not Able To Obtain A Police Report
The most common reason why people cannot get a copy of a police report is because of an ongoing investigation. Once the case is closed, you should be able to obtain a copy.
If you believe you have been unfairly denied access to a police report, you may wish to have a lawyer speak to the authorities on your behalf. Juvenile records may sometimes be sealed or withheld to protect the privacy of the victim. Generally, though, the process to obtain a police report is relatively simple, depending upon who is trying to obtain the report.
What Types Of Reports Can I File Online
- Damage/Mischief to Motor Vehicle under $10,000.00
- Damage/Mischief to Property under $10,000.00
- Lost Property under $10,000.00
- Theft of Property – under $10,000.00
- Theft from Motor Vehicle – under $10,000.00
- Supplemental Report
- Driving Complaints Road Watch:- Constant Neighborhood traffic related issues- School bus violations.
Don’t Miss: How Do Police Warrants Work
How Long Will It Take To Get A Copy Of A Report Once It Is Requested
- In most cases, if you attend in person to obtain a report, it will be prepared while you wait. If the report is incomplete , it will be released to you when it is completed. There may be an additional wait time for archived reports.
- Requests by mail will be responded to by mail as promptly as possible.
What Is An Arrest Warrant
An arrest warrant is a document signed by an authorized official of the state judiciary permitting the arrest of a named person. Generally, state laws prevent law enforcement officers from making forced entry to a residence or private property without reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing. A warrant makes an exception to this rule. The document permits law enforcement agents to arrest a person at a certain time of day and in a certain place, even if it means entering private property without suspicion of wrongdoing.
Although the content of arrest warrants vary with jurisdiction, a typical arrest warrant contains the following information:
- A description of the alleged crime
- Restrictions on how and when the arresting agency may execute the warrant
- The estimated bail amount following the arrest, if applicable
Some states possess a central database for members of the public to perform a warrant search. In case the state does not, interested parties can perform an active warrant search through the DEA Fugitive Search tool or the U.S. Marshall’s Warrant Information System. It may also be possible to find this information from the local sheriffâs office in the county where the arrest warrant was issued.
Read Also: Do Police Know You Have Insurance
How To Request A Police Report Online
Once you have determined which police department has your police report, you should visit their website. Many police departments now allow you to request your police report online, although some may require you to print off a police report request form and mail it to them with a self-addressed stamped envelope. San Antonio, for example, allows you to submit a request for a police report online, in person, or through the mail.
Reports You Can Submit Online
- Theft from vehicle no limit on value of property
- Theft of property no limit on value of property
- Theft of credit or debit card – regardless of fraudulent use.
- Mischief to vehicle such as vandalism, unless there is evidence of a collision such as paint transfer
- Mischief to property such as vandalism
- Lost property with the exception of government-issued ID such as passports. Please call your local district office to report lost government issued documents.
- Attempted stolen vehicle regardless of damage value
- Break & enter an unlocked premise Entry gained by unknown persons to detached garages, secure parkades, vehicle parkades, porches, sheds, storage lockers and laundry rooms. If entry occurs by forced or kicked indoor, or lock cut then report should be reported to 403-266-1234.
- Theft from a parkade or vehicle parked in a parkade only if no forced entry, otherwise call 403-266-1234.
- Theft of mail including deliveries from postal services such as UPS.
Filing a false police report is a crime.
Note: Please turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report.
Also Check: How To Obtain A Police Report In Massachusetts
How Do I Obtain Police Records Online
Obtaining police records online is much easier than it used to be. However, it can still be a bit of a challenge if you dont know where to look. The fastest way to find police records online is to do a search on SpyFly using their secure search platform. Other than that, you can try to find police records by:
- Visiting the local police website
- Searching the county Sheriff website
- Searching the County Court website
Some websites will have you fill out a registration and pay a fee in order to have access to their records.
What Happens During A Criminal Case
Every state adopts a rule of criminal procedure that the criminal justice system follows to establish guilt and punish an offender for a crime. Although the events in criminal cases vary with the case and jurisdiction, a typical case goes thus:
Initial Appearance: Following an arrest, law enforcement shall bring the suspect before a judge within 24 – 48 hours. The judge shall inform the individual of the charges and assign a court-appointed attorney if the individual does not have a personal attorney.
- Bond or Bail Hearing: The court conducts a bail or bond hearing for the accused’s conditional and temporary release in exchange for collateral. Generally, most courts will release an accused on bail or bond unless the person committed a serious felony, deemed a flight risk, or threat to society.
Arraignment: Here, the prosecutor, or the district attorney, files formal charges against the suspect, and the court requires the individual to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. In some cases, an offender pleads nolo contendere. From here on, the case ends in a plea deal or goes to trial.
- Plea Deals: The burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove a person is guilty of the criminal charges. However, suppose the evidence or other factors suggest a lengthy case or uncertainty for either party. Then, the prosecution and the defendant may negotiate a plea deal for the accused to plead guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence or some other benefit.
You May Like: How To Be A Special Police Officer
Where To Find Police Records
First off, if you have a criminal record, you are entitled to a copy of that record as a result of the Freedom of Information Act. As stated earlier, police records are a matter of public record, therefore members of the public can access them. The Freedom of Information Act states that any person has the right to request access to federal agency records or information, except for exemptions that are listed. This means that anyone in the U.S. can request basic information that is considered public record, such as marriage records, voter’s registration or criminal records.
While prison records are public record, the system of recording and storing these police records in the U.S. isn’t always the easiest to navigate. Records can have issues crossing state lines, which is why it’s important to find a database that checks all 50 states and compiles the findings for you. A lot of people believe the U.S. should have all criminal records in one place, but that’s not the way it works.
Police records are recorded in the state the crime occurred in from there they are voluntarily submitted to federal databases for access. Not all crimes are recorded and submitted to federal databases, which is what leads to contrary records. With the With SpyFly we search through national, state and municipal databases so you will get complete results, fast.
- County Criminal Records: $5-$20
Are Arrest Records Free
Truly free arrest records do not typically exist, though many arrest records are inexpensive. Costs such as copying fees, certification fees, and authentication fees may apply to an arrest search. While some public records are free, such as census data, property information, and judgements, many can be difficult to find without the aid of government services or third party public record search websites.
You May Like: How To Pass Police Academy
What’s In A Criminal Record
Let’s break it down, an individual’s criminal record can consist of the following things:
- Arrest records
- Conviction Records
Keep in mind that some of these reports can be considered null and void if the criminal charges were dropped or if a person was found innocent of the crime. This will likely depend upon the jurisdiction. A criminal record will also have a list of crimes that a person was convicted of and the sentence. These include jail or prison terms served, time of probation served, parole grants, and even violation of probation or parole. A criminal record will also show any warrants for a person.
How To Get A Police Report
By law, certain police records and violation reports prepared and maintained by the Police Department are accessible to the general public.
If you need to get a copy of a police report, do this. First, begin by researching the requirements of the police department responsible for the jurisdiction in which the incident occurred. Then, follow the departments exact protocol for requesting and receiving those records. Start by checking the police departments website. Expand your search to the city website if you dont find anything on the police departments website.
Obtain and Fill Out Request Forms
Some departments may require that you complete a request form, sometimes called a request for public records. This may also be known as a request for open records. When you check the department website, look to see if you can download the request form from their site. If so, fill out the request form and submit it according to the directions.
Most request forms will require you to provide the first and last name of at least one of the involved parties. In addition, youll need the location, date, and time of the incident, and in some cases, the incident or case number.
Submitting the Request Form
Important Notes Regarding Submitting Requests for Police Reports
- It may take a few days or more to obtain the official documents
- Charges for obtaining copies of the documents may vary by city or jurisdiction
- Very few departments allow access to records online
Don’t Miss: How To Become A Police Officer In Washington Dc