Avoid Using Your Personal Phones
A pay phone allows you to use *67 to hide the number when calling a non-emergency police line. In addition, if you pay with coins, the call can be traced only to the phone, not to you. If you’re planning to make several anonymous calls, consider purchasing a prepaid telephone and pay with cash. While the number is visible, it is not linked to your name.
Before You Report A Crime Online
Before choosing to report a crime online, please note that an incident cannot be reported online if:
- The crime occurred outside of York Region. If the crime occurred outside of York Region, please contact the area’s local police service.
- Threats or violence occurred.
- The crime is rooted in hate or bias, or related to domestic violence.
- You know the suspect, have information related to a vehicle involved in the crime, or evidence is left behind.
Before reporting online, please also confirm you have a valid email address and have turned off any pop-up blocking settings, plugins or software.
Filing a false police report is a crime.
So Can You Make An Anonymous Noise Complaint To The Police
So youve decided to report the noise to the police, but you want to keep your identity a secret. Well, as you can imagine, most calls to the police start with introductions. However, the caller can also request to remain anonymous, but Im not sure that would be the best thing to do in this case.
After all, the officers are going to need all the context they can get. Additionally, if the noise cuts off before the officers get there, you may need to provide proof that it was ever there. You wouldnt want them to think that you wasted police resources.
Ultimately, its best to introduce yourself to the police before stating your case. You can always request that they not mention your name to the people who are making the noise. However, you may need to jump in if the police decide to charge the person with disturbing the peace. If that happens, you may need to act as a witness.
Usually, the question of your identity is only important if you want to lodge a formal complaint. If you want to go through with your report, I have one last piece of advice: dont call 911. Instead, take the time to look up the number your local police department uses to take non-urgent complaints. Hopefully, youll be able to keep your name off the record.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know If Police Report Was Filed
The Anonymous Reporting Line
The anonymous reporting line, 794-5824, is provided as a resource for those wishing to report crimes anonymously.
If you choose to report anonymously, you must leave specific details in order for UCPD to investigate the crime. Provide details to the best of your ability to the following questions:
- What happened? What did you see? What appears suspicious to you?
- Where exactly did the incident occur? Include streets, building and room/area.
- Did the suspect have any weapons?
- What did the suspect say?
- Where and when was the suspect last seen?
- Which direction was the suspect headed?
- Was the suspect on foot or in a vehicle?
- What did the suspect look like? Describe each suspect one at a time.
- Was the suspect carrying anything?
- Vehicle Description, Color, Make, Model, License Plate
After a message is retrieved from the anonymous reporting line, the information is forwarded to the appropriate person.
Anonymous Crime And Tip Reporting
You may report crimes or suspected crimes anonymously to the UC San Diego Police Department. When providing information by phone, you may ask the dispatcher to remain anonymous. You are not required to provide your name or other identifying information.
If you recently witnessed or are witnessing a crime or suspected crime in progress, please call the UC San Diego Police Department to ensure a timely response.
You may report crimes in progress or life threatening emergencies using 9-1-1.
If youd like to report suspicious circumstances or request a police officer to respond promptly using the non-emergency phone, you can dial 534-4357 or click the button below from your mobile phone.
You may also submit an anonymous tip for crimes or incidents that have already occurred. The UC San Diego Police Department uses P3 Global Intel Tip Management Software to enable community members to report these tips anonymously online or by downloading the mobile app. You may report anything that concerns or threatens you, your friends, your family or your community.
Your identity is safe. No one will ask for your name or phone number. There is no caller ID, call tracing, call recording or call forwarding.
Do not use this system to report crimes in progress. To report a crime in progress, call or text 9-1-1.
Please use anonymous reporting wisely. This tool is for reporting legitimate safety concerns.
Also Check: How To Become A Hospital Police Officer
Bomb Threats By Telephone
If you receive a bomb threat over the telephone, Ready.gov provides the following information on what to do:
- Get as much information from the caller as possible. Try to ask the following questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
The Department of Homeland Security also provides a helpful telephone bomb threat checklist.
- Stolen property for sale online such as on Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.
These crimes may require a dispatched call. Please phone the Police non-emergency line 266-1234.
FOR EMERGENCIES OR CRIMES IN PROGRESS CALL 9-1-1.
Report Identity Theft/fraud Now
Please note: Before you file an identity theft/fraud report:
- Verify that your documents are still in your possession, and haven’t been lost or stolen. If your documents have been lost or stolen, please file a lost property, theft or theft from a vehicle report instead. Do not file an identify theft/fraud report.
- Notify any financial institutions and other companies where you have an account that may have been affected
Also Check: How To Be A Police Officer In Ohio
Additional Reporting Information To Consider
When reporting drug activity, it will also help to keep the following in mind:
- To further ensure anonymity, callers can dial *67 before calling any agency or organization. This blocks the number of the caller.
- Reporting activity to the local police is also an option, but anonymity may be harder to keep.
- It is important to remember, when making a report, you may be asked to provide personal information, but this is completely voluntary. You have the right to remain anonymous if that is what you want.
Read Also: How To File A Police Report For Bank Fraud
Why Should You Report A Drug Activity
How to anonymously report drug activity? You already know the answer. But some people may still wonder why they have to do this. Here are the reasons.
1. Save Your Neighborhood
It is well known that places where drug activity is frequent become dangerous and better-to-avoid areas. When drug dealing gangs start to grow, they even begin to recruit children and adolescents to keep their control over the neighborhood. Schools and local businesses like bakeries or small markets start to close or in the best case scenario, reduce their working hours. Companies that used to offer delivering-related products no longer include the area for their services. Some residents move out. All these things happen sooner or later and the neighborhood will decay.
2. Help Decrease Felonies
Robbery, homicide, rape and many other crimes are greatly associated with illegal drug-related activities. Keep in touch with your local police department to stay upgraded in news about your neighborhood crime rate.
3. Do Your Duty
Remember that safety is everyones responsibility. If everyone expects that another person does the right thing and avoids doing it themselves, then nothing will be done. If you notice something out of place, then act on it. Do not wait until it is too late to do anything. This is your civic duty.
Read Also: How To Get Through Police Academy
Report Information About Crime
You can report to Crime Stoppers about:
- People wanted by the Police
- Unsolved crimes and future crime that is being planned
- People you know who committed criminal offences where they have not been arrested
- Suspicious or unusual activity
Remember you can report your knowledge of criminal activity online , or by calling Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Read Also: What You Do To Become A Police Officer
Submitting An Anonymous Tip
In case of an emergency, call 911. The online tip line is for non-emergency situations.
One of the most effective resources in deterring or solving a crime is information from the community. Please contact The University of Connecticut Police Department if you have ANY information on a crime that has been committed, is in commission or is being planned. You may contact us by coming in to the station, calling or emailing us your information:
- University of Connecticut Police Department:126 North Eagleville RoadStorrs, CT 06269
- Give us a call at 860-486-4800.
- Send us an email message to . Or use the form provided below. NOTE: This email address has been designated solely to receive information from the community about criminal activity.
When submitting crime tips, provide as much of the following information as you can:
- Who: Names and/or a description of the person/people involved.
- What: Description of the type of crime.
- When: Date and time of crime.
- Where: Address or description of place.
- Why: Motive, why crime was/is going to be committed.
- How: What methods are going to be/were used.
- Any other information such as a vehicle description.
Also Check: Where Can I Get My Police Record In Miami
How To Make Anonymous Calls From Any Phone Techwhoop
Got a missed call from unknown number and you are too much in doubt to call back and find out? Or has somebody been constantly pestering you with calls and you want to find out whose number is it? You can generally use Reverse Phone Lookup Services. But many times you get missed calls on your cell phone from unknown numbers. You dont feel so safe calling back to the unknown number especially if you are a woman because you dont want your number to go into wrong persons hands. For all you know, that person might be a stalker or a person intending to cause some or the other kind of nuisance for you. Thus, you must prefer to Make Anonymous Calls.
Wouldnt it be safe if you can hide your number from the mobile phone of the person you are calling? This way, you can easily without the fear of your number being seen by the person. Here are some of the techniques through which you can keep your number Private while and decrease the chances for Make Anonymous Calls. To know how to dial an extension properly, .
Inbuilt Number Blocking Feature
There are a wide range of cell phones out there. Some companies provide the feature of blocking your outgoing caller ID, and some companies do not. You can check if your phone has this inbuilt option. iOS has an inbuilt feature of blocking your outgoing caller ID thus enabling you to Make Anonymous Calls. You can follow these steps to block your outgoing caller ID on your iOS phones.
Don’t Miss: How To Make An Anonymous Report To The Police
Warning Signs Of Illegal Drug Activity
If you want to know how to anonymously report drug activity, first make sure that there are warning signs of the activity. For instance:
- People enter the house with expensive things and depart without them all the time.
- There are excessive movement inside and around the house during night time.
- In some places, to subtly indicate that a drug dealer is around, some of them put shoes with their shoelaces knotted together hung over trees or power cables.
- People are often visiting the place and leaving after a short while.
- Although it is not a precise sign, in some cases, the houses blinds or curtains are dark and permanently closed no matter what the weather is.
- You may see a substance that looks like powder inside or around the house.
- Keep an eye for excessive quantities of plastic bags around the house.
- Needles or syringes are placed on the street, around the house or in nearby dumpsters.
- Look for grinders, rolling paper, pipes or other drug-related elements lying around in the neighborhood.
Look For Signs Of A Crime
Obviously, there are times when calling the police is the best solution especially if there are weapons involved or if you witness a crime like a robbery, an assault, or another type of criminal behavior. Even seeing someone being threatened by another person is a reason to contact the police.
Trying to handle a situation like that on your own is never wise. Plus, for the safety of everyone involved, it’s best to allow the local police to handle it. You should never delay contacting the police when someone’s safety is at risk.
However, there are times when calling the police is not the best course of action. Not only does it tie up police with frivolous complaints, but it also can put people at risk when what they are doing is not harming other people, especially if they panic or don’t respond appropriately when the police arrive.
For instance, one womansometimes referred to at “Permit Patty”called the police on an 8-year-old Black girl selling water without a permit. Although it’s technically true that a permit was required to sell something on the street, this little girl was not harming anyone and involving the police tied up their time on something that wasn’t really putting anyone at risk.
If you find yourself in a situation where you see someone doing something that they probably shouldn’t be doing, you may want to brainstorm other ways to take action, especially if the person lives in your community.
Blocking Your Phone Number
If you call from your home or cell phone, you can use 67 to block your line. Your number will appear as a private or restricted number on the receivers caller ID. Simply type in 67 and then the entire phone number, including 1 plus the area code if the number is long distance. However, your number will not be blocked when calling 911 or toll-free numbers.
Submit A Crime Tip Anonymously
WeTip is committed to providing the most effective, anonymous citizens crime reporting hotline system in the nation. To report a crime anonymously online, all you need is to submit a crime tip. WeTip promises and ensures absolute anonymity, not just confidentiality. WeTip provides intelligence and information to local, state, federal and international law enforcement agencies relating to criminal activity obtained from an online and telephone crime reporting hotline.
Read Also: Whats The Cutoff Age To Be A Police Officer
You May Like: How To Check A Police Case Number
Brainstorm Other Ways To Handle The Situation
If your first response is to pick up the phone and call the police every time something seems amiss in your community, you may want to step back and rethink this approach.
While it’s important to alert the police when you see a crime or witness suspicious behavior, you also may benefit from thinking of other ways to handle things.
For instance, some neighborhoods have developed private social media groups to share information with their neighbors. These groups allow them to share when they see something they consider suspicious. This sometimes allows them to clarify if others are witnessing the same thing or if they were in fact mistaken.
In the case of the white woman that called the police on the little girl selling water , she could have offered to purchase a glass and then politely reminded her that the city requires a permit to sell water.
Actions Considered Suspicious By Police
Another way to determine if you are truly witnessing suspicious behavior is to understand what police consider suspicious. For instance, according to the Seattle Police Department the following actions are considered suspicious and would warrant a call to the police:
- Unusual noises including screaming, fighting, or breaking glass
- Vehicles driving slowly or aimlessly through neighborhoods or around schools and playgrounds
- People peering into parked vehicles that they do not own
- People who change their behavior when they realize that you or someone else sees them
- Abandoned packages or suitcases in unusual places
- People who are on private property and do not seem to be conducting legitimate business
Keep in mind that the police encourage people to report suspicious behavior because it helps them prevent crime and keep people safe.
Don’t Miss: Do You Get Paid For Police Training
Should You Report A Crime Anonymously
If you are a victim of a crime or witness a crime, you may have second thoughts about reporting it. You may think reporting the crime is more trouble than its worth, as happened with the infamous murder of Kitty Genovese in the 1960s. But instead of ignoring the crime, you may want to consider reporting it anonymously.
Some of the benefits of reporting a crime anonymously are that it may encourage you to report it in the first place. Other benefits can include leaving you out of it.
However, there are some drawbacks to anonymous reporting as well.
For example, police may not be able to use you as a witness and could have a harder time finding the perpetrator.
Whether you want to anonymously report a crime is an individual decision you have to weigh. If you do choose to go this route, you should know there are typically several options to make an anonymous report:
In this day and age of surveillance cameras and Internet snoops, it may be nearly impossible to do anything, much less report a crime, anonymously. However, you should remember that reporting a crime is usually better than not reporting a crime at all.
If you have experienced police misconduct:
- Contact the law enforcement agency involved.
- Submit your complaint in writing to the chief of police or the head of the law enforcement agency involved.
- Send a copy of your complaint to the Internal Affairs Division of the law enforcement agency. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself.