What Is The Best Way To Complain About The Police
When you want to file a complaint, you should contact the local police department. The police departments website can assist you in filing a complaint.
How To Handle An Unprofessional Police Office
In the case of a rude or unprofessional police officer, the best thing you can do is first learn your rights in order to deal with the situation peacefully. In the United States, you have the right to remain silent and to have an attorney present if you are arrested or detained. If you are uncomfortable speaking with the officer, you can contact your supervisor. If you must file a complaint against an officer, you must do so at the police division headquarters.
How Can I Complain About A Relative Or Friends Experience
You can help a loved one to complain if they want you to.
You could do the following things.
- Give them information about how the complaints process works.
- Explain to your loved one how the complaints process works.
- Help them to write their complaint.
- Find out who to send the complaint to.
- Help to monitor progress of the complaint.
Can I complain on my relative or friends behalf?
Your loved one should give their consent to say that they are happy for you to take a complaint forward on their behalf. Get written consent from your loved one to do this. If you dont have consent the office may not accept your complaint.
Can I complain about something that has affected me?
You can make a complaint about how the police or police staff have behaved if you have been affected. You can complain even if this behaviour was not directed towards you. For example, your loved one may be more unwell because of police behaviour. This may mean that you need to give them more support.
Indonesia Probes Elite Officers Over Stadium Disaster
Elite Indonesian police officers were under investigation Tuesday over a stadium stampede that killed 125 people including dozens of children in one of the deadliest disasters in football history.
As public anger grew over the tragedy, police moved to punish those responsible for the crush in the city of Malang that witnesses say started when officers fired tear gas into packed stands to quell a pitch invasion.
Arema FC fans set up a makeshift centre in Malang Monday to receive legal complaints, saying they would file a lawsuit against officers for causing what they said were scores of deaths by indiscriminately targeting spectators in confined terraces.
Police described the incident as a riot and said two officers were killed, but survivors accused them of overreacting.
“If there was a riot, it should be fired to the pitch, not in the stand,” Danny Agung Prasetyo, supporter group Arema DC’s coordinator, told AFP.
“Many of the victims were those who were in the stand. They were panicking because of the tear gas.”
A supporter at the centre said Arema fans would stage a large rally if no suspects were named by the weekend.
The local police chief was replaced Monday, nine officers were suspended and 19 others were put under investigation over the disaster in the stadium, which was filled with only hometown Arema FC fans, national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said.
It said the probe would take two to three weeks.
Also Check: How To Sue A Police Department For Negligence
Laying A Criminal Charge
Second, if you believe a police officer has committed a criminal offence, you can lay a criminal charge against the officer. To lay a criminal charge, you need to meet with a justice of the peace, and swear on oath that a crime has been committed and explain the details of the event. Depending on the type of criminal offence in question, there may be a time-limit for when charges can be laid. You should consult a lawyer for assistance.
Sample Complaint Letter Against Police Officer
A sample letter is always helpful in providing clear-cut practical exposure to the complaint letter. It removes all the unnecessary doubts from the mind of the individual and writes an effective complaint letter in a confident manner. Here below is our sample letter of the complaint again the police officer.
You May Like: How To Get Your Own Police Record
Extension Of Time For Investigation
The Department of Justice Canada may extend the time by additional periods of five business days as necessary for the DG or equivalent, the SADM Policy Sector or the DM to complete the investigation. The reasons for extending the response time may include, but are not limited to:
- the complexity of the investigation
- additional time is required to complete the investigation or
- additional time is required for the responsible DG or equivalent, the SADM Policy Sector or the DM to consult.
A written notice will be sent to you stating the reason for this extension. These extensions will only be used in exceptional circumstances.
You May Like: How To Search Police Case Number
Please Read Before Filing A Complaint:
The ICRC receives, investigates, and resolves individual complaints alleging discrimination in violation of Iowas anti-discrimination law, the Iowa Civil Rights Act of 1965 as amended.
- The Iowa Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination in 5 areas.
- The Iowa Civil Rights Act prohibits discriminatory practices.
- Any person who believes that they have been discriminated against in violation of the Iowa Civil Rights Act may file with the ICRC.
- The complaint must be filed within 300 days of the alleged discriminatory practice.
- Filing is the first step in the complaint process.
- The ICRC is a neutral, objective law enforcement agency.
- Assistance is available to either party upon request. Please contact the ICRC for help in obtaining forms, filling out complaint forms or if you have questions about questionnaires.
There are several ways to file a complaint form with the Iowa Civil Rights Commission:
For a hard-copy complaint, please print and fill out the following forms:
Donât Miss: How To Sue A Police Officer
Recommended Reading: Can I Get My Police Record Online
Make A Complaint For Unethical Behavior
If a police officer acts in an unethical manner, or if they break constitutional laws by violating citizens rights, a complaint should be filed against them. If a citizen believes that a complaint against an officer is justified, they can file a complaint with the department, or the United States Department of Justice.
A person can file a complaint against anyone if they believe they have grounds to do so, and are requesting some sort of relief to settle the complaint. A police officer is a public servant, and as such is supposed to be doing their job to serve the community by protecting them from criminal acts or warning them of unsafe situations. Career advancement for officers is based on arrests and convictions within a department. This quota mentality gives officers a reason to arrest erroneously and violate the constitutional rights of citizens. Many times a citizen will not report or complain about an officers misconduct setting other citizens up for up for further unethical arrest actions. Police misconduct has grown out of control in the United States with daily news headlines regarding the illegal, or unethical actions of police within their communities.
Local Law Enforcement Agency Complaints
If you have a complaint against a police officer or sheriff’s deputy, you should first direct your complaint to the local law enforcement agency regardless of whether you are alleging criminal or non-criminal misconduct. Each law enforcement agency in California is required by Penal Code section 832.5 to establish a procedure to investigate complaints. You can obtain a written description of the procedures from the law enforcement agency.
If you are alleging that a law enforcement officer committed a crime and your complaint is not resolved by your complaint to the agency, you should next contact the county district attorney in the county where the law enforcement agency is located. Most complaints against local law enforcement can be resolved by contacting the aforementioned agencies.
If these agencies do not act on your complaint within a reasonable period of time, you may file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Office. The Attorney General will review citizen complaints against a law enforcement agency or its employees for possible investigation when substantive allegations of unlawful conduct are made and all appropriate local resources for redress have been exhausted.
Don’t Miss: What Do You Have To Do In Police Academy
Who Handles Citizen Complaints
Quality-Of-Service Complaints will be handled through the Citizen Complaint Resolution Process . Examples of these complaints are:
- Discourtesy/unprofessional attitude
- Lack of proper service
- Improper procedure
Misconduct Allegations will be handled by the Internal Investigations Section and/or the judicial system. Examples of these complaints are:
- Criminal conduct
- Unnecessary pointing of firearms at persons
- Serious misconduct
- Improper searches and seizures
How To File A Police Complaint
The Baltimore Police Department’s Public Integrity Bureau is responsible for investigating allegations of wrongdoing by police officers and civilian employees.
The mission of PIB is to provide members of the public and BPD employees with the opportunity to make confidential complaints without fear of retaliation. PIB is committed to conducting independent internal investigations fairly and consistently and will hold all employees accountable for violations of its policies and applicable laws.
Also Check: What Does The Police Academy Consist Of
Requests To Obtain Records Related To Misconduct Complaints
Members of the public may request to obtain records from the Police Department relating to an administrative or criminal investigation of misconduct by a police officer under the Public Information Act . These requests can be made via the same process used for all other Police Department requests to obtain information under the PIA.
To file a PIA request with the Police Department, follow the instructions for how to make a PIA request provided by the Baltimore County Office of Law. Use the custodian information listed for the Police Department.
Filing A Complaint With The Police
Third, you may bring a public complaint against a police officer who is a member of either a municipal police service or the Ontario Provincial Police. The Police Services Act requires that complaints have to be in writing and signed by the complainant. This complaint can be submitted to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director , or to the chief of police of the police service involved. If you file your complaint with the chief of police, he or she will then forward it to the OIPRD. In 2009, the OIPRD replaced the Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services for overseeing complaints about police.
Generally, for your complaint to be investigated three criteria must be met:
Also Check: How Long Is Police Academy In Tennessee
What Happens After I Make A Complaint
The officer appointed to investigate your complaint will contact you to discuss the matter and determine how to proceed. This can lead to one of two outcomes:
- Informal resolution: If you and the involved officer agree, the investigating officer will attempt to address the complaint through informal resolution. Informal resolution uses the process of mediation and usually involves a face-to-face meeting between all involved parties under the guidance of a neutral party. The complaint may then be withdrawn or may be resolved by other means mutually consented to by all parties.
- Formal investigation: If there is no informal resolution, the investigating officer will proceed with a formal investigation. This investigation must be completed within 60 days from the date you filed your written complaint. In exceptional circumstances the Police Complaints Commissioner may grant an extension of time to complete the investigation. You will receive a notice when the investigation has been completed.
The Police Complaints Commissioner ensures that time limitations provided within the Police Act are adhered to and may extend the time to investigate complaints when additional time is requested by the authority.
Recommended Reading: What To Study To Be A Police Officer
How Will We Respond To Your Complaint What Can You Expect From Us
- You will be treated with courtesy and respect and we will protect your confidentiality you will not suffer any detriment for having complained.
- If you wish to remain anonymous, you may do so, however this will not enable us to contact you if we need to clarify matters or provide you with information about the outcome of your complaint.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 7 business days. An identification number will be given to the complaint and it will be forwarded to a complaint handler for consideration. Once a complaint is received by the complaint handler it will be assessed in order to determine the best course of action. The complaint will generally be handled at your local police station.
- You will be provided with the contact details for your complaint handler who will keep you updated on the progress of the investigation.
- The manner in which a complaint will be dealt with will depend on the nature of the alleged conduct. The NSW Police Force will assess your matter and deal with your complaint by:
- Direct response .
- Resolution – discussing the complaint with you and the involved police officer
- Investigations – where a formal investigation is conducted.
Also Check: What Defunding The Police Means
Title Ii Of The Americans With Disabilities Act Of 1990 And Section 504 Of The Rehabilitation Act Of 1973
The Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 prohibit discrimination against individuals on the basis of disability. . These laws protect all people with disabilities in the United States. An individual is considered to have a âdisabilityâ if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.
The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in all State and local government programs, services, and activities regardless of whether they receive DOJ financial assistance it also protects people who are discriminated against because of their association with a person with a disability. Section 504 prohibits discrimination by State and local law enforcement agencies that receive financial assistance from DOJ. Section 504 also prohibits discrimination in programs and activities conducted by Federal agencies, including law enforcement agencies.
What Can I Do If I Am Not Satisfied With The Decision
You should file a Notice of Review with the Police Complaints Commissionerwithin 30 days of receipt of the decision if youre not satisfied with it.
Once you file the Notice of Review, the Police Complaints Commissioner:
- will attempt to resolve the complaint. Any resolution will require the consent of the involved officer and the complainant.
- may conduct an independent investigation of the complaint if there is no resolution. Following the completion of this investigation, the Commissioner will decide whether the complaint has merit and, if that is the case, the matter will be referred to the Police Review Board.
If the complaint is not referred to the Police Review Board you will be notified that no further action will be taken with respect to your complaint.
You May Like: How Do You Check Your Police Record
Also Check: How To Get A Police Report In Chicago
File A Restraining Order
If you’re in an emergency, call 911.
If you’ve been a victim of domestic abuse and want to take legal action, you may be able to file for a protective order. Protective orders are also known as restraining orders or injunctions.
The process for obtaining a protective order differs from state to state. Your local police and court can help you get the process started. Contact your state, county, or municipal court for more information.
Generally, you have to fill out paperwork and submit it to the county courthouse. A judge may issue a temporary restraining order to protect you immediately. To get a longer-term order, your judge may want either or both a full court hearing and your abuser’s presence.
The police can enforce a protective order. If necessary, the order can include special provisions like:
Custody of children
Forcing the abuser to leave a home
Some states require the abuser to surrender all firearms.
Officer And Civilian Employee Compliments
Compliments about services rendered by a particular officer, civilian employee, or section are important to us and to our personnel. Your comments will become part of the employees personnel file and will be shared with the employees commanders. Occasionally, complimentary comments are the basis for nominations for special service awards or other departmental recognition.
- Using the below online complaint form
- In person or in writing, with the internal Affairs Section at the following address:
How to Complain about a Police OfficerWrite to: Anne Arundel County Police DepartmentInternal Affairs Section8495 Veterans HighwayMillersville, MD 21108
- For citizens who wish to appear in person, business hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Citizens may file a complaint by telephone with the internal Affairs Office at 222-8740 There is a voice mail system for those who call after business hours
- Citizens may also file a complaint at any time with any supervisor, or any other police department employee, at any of the 4 district stations.
- Citizens may obtain annual statistics by making a written request to the Internal Affairs Section
Persons may be held criminally and/or civilly liable for knowingly filing a false complaint or making a false statement.
Recommended Reading: Can The Police Trace A Phone Number