Filing A Police Report After A Car Accident
People often assume that it is not necessary to file a police report after a car accident, especially if they have been involved in a minor car accident. But this is not the case. When you decide to seek compensation for sustained injuries, property damage, and other damages, your case will be stronger with a copy of a filed police report. Car accident lawyers will want a copy of your police report when you decide to file a lawsuit for compensation for your injuries. There will be other circumstances where a police report is helpful, as well. When you have gone through an auto accident, your adrenaline is surging. After you have calmed down and left the scene, you may start to experience symptoms of injury that you had not noticed while dealing with the wrecks immediate after-effects. Not all injury symptoms present immediately, as well. Some require time to worsen and present signs of what your body has gone through. You may experience intense pain later, even after a day or so following the accident. Having a police report and ensuring you seek medical attention when needed is important for your case. Documentation resulting from these actions are solid proof of your injuries and damages, helping you gain the compensation you need and deserve to cover these costs. So you should always protect yourself and your claim by always filing a police or accident report, even if you believe at first the accident is only minor.
What Not To Do When Youre In An Auto Accident
Now that you know what to do after a minor car accident, and understand the importance of reporting an accident and how to file a motor vehicle accident report, here are some things NOT to do after an auto accident :
Contact An Automobile Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, contact an Indianapolis car accident lawyer of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you and your family fight for the compensation you deserve. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Also Check: How To Become A Desk Police Officer
You May Like: How Much Does A Military Police Officer Make
How Do Insurance Companies Use Police Reports
After a car accident, when a claim is reported, the insurance company will conduct its own investigation. One of the first things that an insurance company will ask for is the police report. This is because, as we discussed above, the report contains a vast amount of information pertaining to the car accident.
Sometimes the insurance company and police officer’s opinions are different. This is why there are times when the police report is in your favor in terms of a fault determination, but the other driver’s insurance company still denies your insurance claim.
Learn more about the role of insurance in a car accident case.
How To Fill Out A Police Report
For those wondering how long do I have to fill out a police report, there is usually a time limit to file a report with a citys police department. So, if you did not create a report at the time of the accident or crime, you will need to find out how to fill out a police report.
Most often, you will be asked to make a police report for an accident at the scene. However, there are other options if an officer is not dispatched or you experienced a hit and run or simply decided not to call the police.
To ensure the most clarity, it is best to complete a report in person with a police officer, which you can do at the nearest police station. You can also submit an accident police report online. It is advised that you file the report in the same city that the accident occurred.
At the very least, when thinking about how to do a police report correctly, make sure to submit your personal information, details about the surroundings and your vehicle. These are specifications in police investigations even if you do not have information on the burglar or other party.
Also Check: How To Obtain A Police Report In Houston Tx
Why File An Accident Report With The Police
A car accident is one situation you shouldn’t fail to make a formal report. Besides serving as a third-party witness, reasons you must file a crash report include:
- It gives an unbiased story of the incident.
- It serves as more reliable evidence.
- It prevents someone from claiming against you.
- Reports are primary sources of information to your insurance company.
- A police report puts you in a better position to win a compensation claim.
- You could pay a fine or lose your driving license if you fail to report a car crash incidence in a timely manner
How To Retrieve An Accident Report For An Nyc Car Crash
If youve already contacted the police about your accident and made sure that a report was filed in the first place, then you will want to know how to get a copy of that report. It is important to have a copy of the police report from your accident not only for your own records but also because lawyers and insurance companies are going to want access to the police report as part of your car accident case.
Recommended Reading: Is United Police Fund Legit
Dont Forget To File A Report With The Dmv
Who knew there was so much paperwork associated with a car accident? In some states, you have to notify the DMV if you were involved in a collision. In California, for example, you have to file an accident report if there was an injury, death or property damage costing more than $1,000 whether or not youre the driver at fault.
What Are The Benefits Of Filing A Police Report
Here are some of the benefits of filing a police report after a car accident :
- Reporting : You will have an accurate account of the car accident details. You will have a copy of your car accident police report form.
- Legal Issues : You are protected if legal issues arise.
- Proves Fault : It can help prove fault, and prove you are not at fault in an accident.
- Protection : It helps protect you from a scam or insurance fraud.
- Law : You may be legally required to file a car accident police report. Dont leave anything to chance.
- Peace Of Mind : It provides you with peace of mind in knowing you did everything you could.
You May Like: Can I File A Police Report After An Accident
Who Can Request A Report In Florida
Accident reports are not part of the public record until 60 days after a crash. If you need a copy of the report during this period, you will need to complete an affidavit that specifies you were in the crash. However, after 60 days, anyone can request a copy of the police report.
This affidavit should be available at any police department, sheriffs office, or other location where you need to pick up your report. You can also complete it online from the Florida Highway Patrol website.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How To Get A Police Report For An Accident In Nyc
If you get into a car accident in NYC, you will likely need a police report for your insurance company or for a lawsuit. Lawyers and insurance companies use police reports as invaluable tools that show that the accident actually happened and to detail who was involved, where the accident took place, and other important information.
To get an accident report, you first need to report the accident to the police. Then, you can usually pick up a copy of the police report at the precinct that made the report or by using the online portal from either the NYPD or the DMV for accident reports.
Having an accident report is just one part of investigating the crash and developing a case. If you suffered serious injuries in a car crash, it is important to get help from our New York City car accident lawyers to get the compensation you need. Call The Carrion Law Firm at 841-0083 to set up a free case consultation and learn more about filing an injury claim.
Recommended Reading: Are Police Accident Reports Public Record
Does Filing An Accident Report Help With Insurance Claims
Filing a police crash report can sometimes help with insurance claims. However, it is not always necessary to file a written report in order for your claim to be processed.
If you are involved in a reportable car accident, the police will usually file an accident report. This report may be helpful to your insurance company when they are processing your claim. If you are involved in a non reportable crash, you may want to consider filing an accident report so that there is a record of what happened.
To file an accident report, you will need to contact your local police agency or the Department of Motor Vehicles and request a form. Once you have filled out the form, you will need to submit it to the police agency or DMV.
In some states, you may be able to file an accident report online. To find out if this is an option in your state, you will need to contact your local police department or the DMV.
You May Like: How To Tell If Car Ac Compressor Is Bad
When You Must Report A Crash To The California Dmv
Unlike other states, you would also have a duty to report most car accidents to the California Department of Motor Vehicles . You are required to notify the DMV within 10 days of the collision in these situations:
- Anyone involved in the accident suffered any injuries, even if they were minor.
- Someone was killed in the crash.
- The collision caused property damage to a vehicle or other personal property of more than $1,000.
Also Check: Where Can I Get A Police Report Online
When Should I Call Police Instead
- If you have a known suspect. If you know the name or address of the suspect, or if you know the license plate of the vehicle associated to the suspect, please contact Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311
- If the value of theft, loss or property damage is more than $10,000.00
- If your vehicle has been stolen
- If the incident occurred outside of Brampton or Mississauga. Please contact the police service responsible for the area in which the incident occurred
- If someone broke into, or attempted to break into your home, garage or business
- If this is the theft or loss of a firearm
- If this is related to any form of personal violence, including domestic violence.
- If this is related to any kind of vandalism or graffiti that could be hate motivated
- If this is related to a traffic complaint that is in progress
How To File A Police Report
Now that you know that a police report is important for your case, you may wonder how a police report is filed. Here are the steps to ensuring your auto accident has a police report on file:
Also Check: What Training Do You Need To Become A Police Officer
A Lawyer Can Help You Get A Car Accident Police Report In Los Angeles Ca
You may need a car accident police report after a motor vehicle accident in Los Angeles. The team at the Simmrin Law Group can help you review the best way to get a car accident police report in Los Angeles, CA. Call us at or fill out our online contact form to start getting help now.
We can help you seek damages after a car accident. Find out how with a FREE consultation from our car accident lawyers in Los Angeles.
Call or text or complete a Free Case Evaluation form
Standard Car Accident Investigation Procedures
The police have many important duties to perform once they arrive at the accident scene, starting by providing safety and establishing order. Law enforcement officers typically go by the following car accident investigation procedure:
- Secure the accident scene
- Take down information of the drivers involved
- Gather witness statements
- Take pictures of the accident scene
- if the car is undrivable or poses a risk to public safety
- Issue citations or put people under arrest
Read Also: How To Know If You Are Being Watched By Police
Penalties For Not Filing A Police Report After An Albuquerque Car Accident
Another reason why you need to file a police report after a car accident involves potential penalties that come with not filing a timely report. They include:
- License suspension
- Misdemeanor or felony charges if the lack of filing was to avoid prosecution
- An uphill battle in getting your injury claim accepted by an insurer or the courts
- No compensation for your wrecked vehicle, medical bills, pain and suffering or lost wages
There may be additional penalties subject to local laws. Its easy to see why accidents should always have a legal paper trail, even if you suffered only minor injuries.
Requirements For A Police Report In Albuquerque
New Mexico follows a strict protocol in filing an individual car accident police report. Below are requirements for filing a police report:
- In accidents where injury or death occur, or the damages exceed $500, police reports are required per New Mexico Statutes Annotated section 66-7-207.
- Accidents with over $1,000 in damage require a uniform crash report, downloadable from the New Mexico DOT website.
- Police reports submitted by law enforcement must be completed and sent to the DOT within 24 hours after the incident same with car wrecks where commercial vehicles are involved.
- Accidents that didnt occur within city limits must be reported to New Mexico State Police or the county sheriff.
Trusted by thousands each year, Parnall Law Firm can help victims during all phases of the post-accident claims process, including filing reports. If filing alone, heres what youll be expected to include in every report:
- The date, time, and place where the accident happened
- Description of potential causes of the collision, including those which may include acts of God
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of those involved
- A rough sketch of the accident, including impact point
- A detailed account of vehicle damage, including repair estimate if known
- Weather condition as reported during the accident
- A description of any injuries and property damage that resulted
- A brief overview of what the aftermath looked like, including how far debris flew
You May Like: Can Police Track Textnow Numbers
If The Police Do Not Come To The Scene
There may be times that a police officer can’t come to the scene of the accident. Here are a few reasons why that might happen:
- In some states, the police are not required to go to the scene of an accident if the property damage value is too low. If you are concerned about injuries or other issues, make the police aware when you call it in. Having more details can help them decide whether they will come.
- The police may decide not to come if there are no injuries.
- If there is a public emergency or disaster underway, they may be too busy to make it to the scene of your crash.
You should always make a call to the police and let them decide whether they’ll come out. If the police do not come to the scene, then make sure you record all the details of the accident and any damages yourself.
Why A Police Report Matters When Filing A Car Accident Claim
While a police report is not mandatory when filing a claim for compensation for your injuries in an auto collision, it provides the insurance company with important information regarding your claim. In addition, it is an unbiased third-party account by a police officer trained to investigate vehicle wrecks of what occurred, which can be very persuasive to an insurance adjuster handling your claim. Similarly, not having one weakens your claim because it makes the accident seem minor and not one where you could suffer significant injuries.
In addition, a police report contains a wealth of information. Here is some of the helpful information a police report can contain to prove your case:
Whether or not you contacted the police after your auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries from the negligent drivers insurance company. The experienced car accident attorneys at Tavss Fletcher are here to answer your questions and help you file your claim. We urge you to call our office or start an online chat today to schedule your free case evaluation.
You May Like: How To File A Police Report For A Car Accident