Why Can’t I Report All Crimes Online
- Only crimes that have no suspects, are not in progress and do not involve injury can be reported online.
- Some crimes and incidents may require evidence collection or other investigative procedures requiring an officer’s involvement.
- Among others, online reporting is NOT appropriate for the following crimes or incidents:
- Incidents occurring within past 30 minutes
- Violent crimes, completed or attempted
- Sex crimes
- Theft or loss of a firearm
- Theft or loss of prescription drugs or other controlled substances.
- Stolen vehicles, completed or attempted
- Stolen license plate
- Burglary of your home or business
- Crimes committed due to race, religion, ethnic or national origin, disability and/or sexual orientation
- Aggressive driving
Will My Case Be Investigated
- Due to the nature of the reports filed – they have no known suspects or information to follow up on – we won’t be able to investigate most cases.
- All cases filed through the online reporting system will be reviewed and will help us track crime trends and patterns.
- The reports filed online are also usually the quickest and easiest way to get a report for your insurance company.
Ive Lost An Item Of Property How Do I Report That
You can report lost property online. Please click or tap on the blue 105 button below to start.
Or you can visit your local police station and complete a lost property report in person.
When you report lost property to Police you will receive a Police Acknowledgement Form with a reference number that can be used for insurance purposes.
Items that are handed in to Police are held for a sufficient period of time to make the necessary enquiries. Keeping serial numbers greatly improves your chances of identifying property if it is handed in.
Read Also: Are Police Scanner Apps Live
Why Use Donotpay To File A Police Report For A Stolen Wallet
Dealing with the aftermath of a stolen wallet is complicated. You have many items from your wallet to replace, a bank account to monitor for unauthorized transactions, and a lot of questions about what you need to do next.
DoNotPay can make the entire process faster and easier.
|You dont have to spend hours trying to solve the issue.|
|Easy||You dont have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem.|
|Successful||You can rest assured knowing well make the best case for you.|
Even better, it can allow you to take care of many of the other tasks associated with a stolen wallet, from canceling your bank card to filing a claim for an unauthorized transaction, all in one easy place. Did you have other items stolen at the same time? DoNotPay can take care of those, too.
Report: Mischief Theft Vandalism Graffiti Or Lost Items
5 TYPES OF REPORTS MAY BE DONE ONLINE.
Theft in or on a vehiclePurse snatching Pickpocketing
Item was not stolen but you can no longer find it
After submitting the report, a temporary number will be automatically sent to you by email. All communication will be done by email. Your report will be reviewed and if any changes are required, you will be sent a request for changes. Once the report is corrected and approved, you will receive an official event number by email, as well as a PDF copy of the report.
Make sure you have a valid email address as well as the date and location of the crime and information on the vehicle involved, if applicable.
If you meet these criteria and the type of incident that occurred appears on the list above, you may file your report.
To report a theft or loss of packages, please note that some companies require a report in English only. We offer the service in the language of your choice. Note, however, that once the report has been submitted, it is no longer possible to change the language.
Read Also: How To Read Police Reports Online
How Can You File A Police Report For Stolen Property
To file a police report for a stolen item, first make contact with the police department. Then provide the additional information the police needs to locate the item. Detailed information helps the police, and a thorough report makes insurance claims easier to navigate.
To report an item as stolen, call the police department as soon as possible. Some jurisdictions have a non-emergency number to be used for cases such as stolen property. The department will dispatch an officer to the location or will provide instructions for meeting with an officer at the precinct.
An items description, make, model and serial number, along with pictures, are important to include in a police report. Receipts, appraisals and other information to document purchase date and worth are helpful in insurance claims and need to accompany the police report. Provide as much information about the stolen item as possible.
Tell the officer about the day and time the item was discovered missing. Include the last time the item was seen and its location. If any other items were misplaced or damaged, include that information as well. Providing names and descriptions of any people suspected of taking the item can help officers generate leads.
Before You Go To The Police
Your transaction might not be a case of fraud or stolen goods, and it might be that you’re dealing with a seller who is slow at sending an item or keeping in contact. In these cases, we encourage you to try and resolve the issue with the seller directly. If this doesn’t work, there are a number of ways to resolve your issue quickly before going to the police:
Recommended Reading: How Do I Report Police Misconduct
You Cannot File A Report Online If
- A threat was made or violence was used during the incident. If you are in immediate danger, please dial 911. If you are no longer in danger, please call us at 613-236-1222, extension 7300.
- Evidence was left on the scene such as, but not limited to blood, tools, clothes or any item related to the incident. Please call 613-236-1222, extension 7300 to file a report.
- The incident being reported did not happen in Ottawa. Please contact the police service in the city where the incident happened to file a report.
- The stolen property is a passport
- The property lost is a cell phone, licence plate, bank card or government issued identification, with or without a serial number. Please contact your service provider to get a replacement.
What Happens After I File A Report
Recommended Reading: Can You Sue The Police For Emotional Distress
How Not To File A Police Report
Its been drilled into many of us that dialing 911 is the way to reach the police. However, it is essential to remember that 911 is the number for police emergencies. And while a stolen package may certainly feel serious to the victim, it is neither an in-progress crime nor life-threatening. Therefore, if you want to make your claim over the phone, you will have to find the non-emergency number for your local police department. Of course, the exact number will vary depending on where you live, but you should be able to find it quickly enough through a simple Google search.
How Do I Make A Police Report
The simplest way of reporting a crime is to go to your local police station or to call the local police operator on a non-emergency number. In most cases your report can be taken by telephone and followed up later. Some forces have an online crime reporting system, which you may be able to find on the web. A list of law enforcement agencies in Canada can be found here.
Recommended Reading: Can I Request A Copy Of My Police Statement
Will Anyone Be Arrested And/or Charged
If you’re making an allegation of a crime you should be prepared for the possibility that no matter how strong you believe your case, is the police may still choose not to continue with an investigation. A strong deciding factor is often whether or not the cost of an investigation is proportionate to the offence committed. This may mean that if the amount of financial loss is relatively low, then a lengthy investigation is unlikely.
What Types Of Reports Can I File Online
- Damage/Mischief to Motor Vehicle under $10,000.00
- Damage/Mischief to Property under $10,000.00
- Lost Property under $10,000.00
- Theft of Property – under $10,000.00
- Theft from Motor Vehicle – under $10,000.00
- Supplemental Report
- Driving Complaints Road Watch:- Constant Neighborhood traffic related issues- School bus violations.
You May Like: How To Become A Police Officer After High School
Reports You Can Submit Online
- Theft from vehicle no limit on value of property
- Theft of property no limit on value of property
- Theft of credit or debit card – regardless of fraudulent use.
- Mischief to vehicle such as vandalism, unless there is evidence of a collision such as paint transfer
- Mischief to property such as vandalism
- Lost property with the exception of government-issued ID such as passports. Please call your local district office to report lost government issued documents.
- Attempted stolen vehicle regardless of damage value
- Break & enter an unlocked premise Entry gained by unknown persons to detached garages, secure parkades, vehicle parkades, porches, sheds, storage lockers and laundry rooms. If entry occurs by forced or kicked indoor, or lock cut then report should be reported to 403-266-1234.
- Theft from a parkade or vehicle parked in a parkade only if no forced entry, otherwise call 403-266-1234.
- Theft of mail including deliveries from postal services such as UPS.
Filing a false police report is a crime.
Note: Please turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report.
Filing A Stolen Package Police Report Online
Many police departments also provide ways to file a police report online conveniently. While the individual URL will again vary depending on your location, a Google search of your town/city plus online police report will most likely turn up the appropriate place to report your stolen package. To file the report, you will select the type of crime that has occurred and provide details about it. Include all information about the theft, but make sure that you stick to the facts, as filing a false report is a crime.
Recommended Reading: How Many Hours Of Training To Become A Police Officer
When Should I Call Police Instead
- If you have a known suspect. If you know the name or address of the suspect, or if you know the license plate of the vehicle associated to the suspect, please contact Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311
- If the value of theft, loss or property damage is more than $10,000.00
- If your vehicle has been stolen
- If the incident occurred outside of Brampton or Mississauga. Please contact the police service responsible for the area in which the incident occurred
- If someone broke into, or attempted to break into your home, garage or business
- If this is the theft or loss of a firearm
- If this is related to any form of personal violence, including domestic violence.
- If this is related to any kind of vandalism or graffiti that could be hate motivated
- If this is related to a traffic complaint that is in progress
What Evidence Do You Need
The police will need essential details from you, such as the date and time of the offence and who the victim and suspects are. If you tried to contact the seller you may have even exchanged names and addresses using the contact member system. These details will be useful to the police in trying to trace the other person and establishing whether or not they’ve committed an offence.
If you’ve exchanged emails with the other person, make sure that you keep them and print copies to provide to the police. If possible, print any eBay or PayPal web pages relating to your transaction.
You May Like: What Asvab Score Is Needed For Military Police
Crimes In Progress Or Just Witnessed
If a crime is in progress, or you have just witnessed or experienced a crime, try to get to safety first.
- immediately and try to stay calm.
- Be alert of your surroundings and try to make mental notes.
- When talking to the 911 dispatcher, keep in mind the following:
- The first question you will be asked is, “Where is your emergency?”
- Give the dispatcher as specific an address as possible.
- If you don’t know the exact address, try to provide a street name or to identify landmarks around you. It is extremely important to provide as much detail about your location as possible.
All 911 calls can be connected to a translator if foreign language assistance is needed. Do not make prank calls to 911. Prank 911 calls, which take dispatchers away from callers whose lives might be in danger, are punishable by law.
Crimes Not In Progress
Depending on where the crime occurred, you may report the crime to agencies such as the MTA police, NY State Police, or Port Authority Police, if the location of the crime falls within their respective jurisdictions. Otherwise, for certain report types, you can file an online police report or you can visit your local precinct.
You May Like: How Can You Be A Police Officer
File Police Reports For Lost / Stolen Items Online
The public can file reports on-line using the form submissions below. Please choose from the list of reports you’d wish to file and we’ll send you back an e-mail with your police report incident number within 24 hours . If a report is needed faster, please come to the front counter of the police station or call the non-emergency line at 781-314-3600.
You may only file an on-line e-mail report if :
- There is no suspect information.
- There is no evidentiary value such as a tape from a phone call, finger prints from stolen item area, or item dropped by suspect.
If you are not sure if online reporting should be used called 781-314-3600 and ask to speak with an officer. You can attach photos of property or documents to the online report.
Types of Templates :
What Happens After I File A Report Online
- Upon submitting your completed report online, you will see the words Your online police report has been submitted indicating your report is complete.
- You will receive an email with a temporary case number until police have reviewed the report. Check your junk email folder if you do not receive the email in your inbox.
- Once a police officer has approved the online report, you will be notified and provided a permanent case number.
- The accuracy of the information you provide in the report greatly assists Peel Regional Police Service in investigating your incident. Please ensure the report is as complete and concise as possible.
Don’t Miss: How To Find A Police Incident Report
Take Note Of Those Involved
Another essential detail to take note of in your police report is to write down the information of the people who filed the report. It could be the victim themselves, an associate of theirs, or a bystander who saw the event. Take their information as well so that you can follow up on them for any more details.
How To Report A Crime
This section provides information about how to report a crime in progress or a crime that has already happened. If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. You can report a crime and receive assistance from the police regardless of your age or immigration status.Learn more about the rights of crime victims
Don’t Miss: Can I Become A Police Officer Without College
Filing A Police Report For Stolen Property
Most people do not think they will ever have to file a police report for stolen property, which is why so many reports that are filed are incomplete. If you want the police to be able to find your property, then you need to do work in advance and fill out a comprehensive police report. The strength of your police report depends on the information that you are able to offer.
Catalog Your Possessions
If you do not catalog your possessions, then you have no inventory list to check and see what items have been stolen. You also have nothing but vague guesses to give the police when it comes to your possessions.
The first step in cataloging your possessions is to make a list of everything you own that includes manufacturer, model number, serial number and description. This will help the insurance company to establish how much you will get paid if your possessions are not returned, and it will help the police to use pawn shops and other places to help track your possessions.
You should also take pictures of all of your possessions and store those pictures in a safe place. Your pictures should be hard copy and not digital to avoid the possibility that they could be lost.
Filling Out The Police Report
As the police compile your report, be sure to insist on accuracy and answer all questions completely. When the police hand you the completed report, make sure the names of the officers compiling the report are included for later reference.
Check In Occasionally