Application And Selection Process
The Halifax Regional Police application and selection process involves 12 stages. The recruitment standards are high and the selection process is challenging, but fair and achievable. Applicants must be successful in each stage before they can proceed to the next stage of the competition not all applicants will proceed through all 12 stages.
Military Police Officer Job Description
Military police officers work to safeguard military and adjacent facilities by monitoring and securing the areas under their protection, and by arresting individuals found to be in breach of pertinent legislation. Military police officers may also oversee the safe transport of government agents and prisoners.
- Completely free trial, no card required.
- Reach over 250 million candidates.
All Branches Of The Military Have Mps
Despite the name, and many similar duties, military police are more than just cops in camouflage. The name can be deceiving. Military Police in the Navy, and Security Forces Specialist in the Air Force) are employed at every major base and installation to protect people and property and enforce the law military law, that is, the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
Their jurisdiction is limited to military property and personnel. Theyre usually most visible manning gates and security checkpoints, and enforcing basic traffic laws and military regulations. But their duties also include investigating felony-level crimes and terrorism, and coordinating with other law enforcement agencies when service members get themselves in a mess out in town.
Things change overseas, where MPs stop writing traffic tickets and start running combat operations. Still protecting lives and property, theyre usually the standing security team for motor convoys through hostile territory – providing lead, rear, and roving vehicles to the column – with an obviously more lenient jurisdiction, since theyre operating as infantry.
They may also train and coordinate with local police and security, as in Afghanistan and Iraq after the US-led invasion of those countries left their law enforcement systems – well, non-existent.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is It To Get Into The Police Academy
Conduct Of Unit Investigations
13. The investigator’s role is to reconstruct the events that occurred at the time of the alleged offence. The investigation shall, as a minimum, gather all readily available evidence bearing on the guilt or innocence of the person who is the subject of the investigation, identify those responsible and identify the required elements of the specific offence in order to support a charge.8
14. An important part of conducting an investigation is interviewing witnesses, which may include obtaining statements from anyone suspected of committing the offence. Care should be taken when interviewing or obtaining statements. It is important that the information come directly from the witness and not be suggested through the wording of the investigator’s questions. Where, for example, the unit is conducting an investigation on an alleged assault between two members in the mess at closing time, it would be proper to ask a potential witness: â
Were you at the mess? â¦What time were you there? â¦ Did you see anything happen at closing time?â. It would not be appropriate to ask: â
Were you at the mess when Lt Jones hit Lt Smith?â.
15. When a disciplinary investigation is conducted by the unit, it is important that it is conducted properly and that the rights of the accused be respected.
Where a charge has been laid, the following caution can be used:
Can You Be A Detective In The Military
The Military Occupational Specialty number for this job is MOS 31D. CID special agents can expect to investigate such criminal activity as espionage, treason, and terrorism. Like a police detective, theyll interview witnesses, question suspects and collect and analyze both forensic evidence and criminal intelligence.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Find A Police Report Online
What Are The Requirements To Be In The Military
If you wish to belong to the army and enter the Military College, you must complete the corresponding registration process. For this, it is necessary to issue a series of documents and attach certain requirements for entering the institution to be a success.
In this first section of the following article, we are going to present each of the requirements that aspiring military men need. Each of them is mentioned in this list below:
What Is A Military Police Officer
The key duty of a military police officer is to protect lives and properties and to provide direction and leadership to the military police. Also, you will need to regularly patrol the military facility to detect and address any breaches in security. Your job requires you to occasionally transport and ensure the safety of important dignitaries, government officials, and criminals between locations. You are also expected to maintain a good relationship with your superiors and subordinates to fulfill your duties and obligations. Another duty of a military police officer is to investigate and curb suspicious activity on time.To get a job as a military police officer, you need to have a good knowledge of all military principles and must have completed all prerequisite military training. You need just a high school diploma to get a job as a military police officer. With these requirements met, you will earn an average salary of $44,911 every year or $22 every hour.
There is more than meets the eye when it comes to being a Military Police Officer. For example, did you know that they make an average of $21.59 an hour? That’s $44,911 a year!
Between 2018 and 2028, the career is expected to grow 5% and produce 37,500 job opportunities across the U.S.
Don’t Miss: Are Police Officers Names Public Record
Stage 12 Police Science Program
Successful applicants will be enrolled in the 2021 HRP Police Science Program. Candidates who successfully complete the Police Science Program will be offered employment with Halifax Regional Police as either a full-time police officer or a reserve officer, depending on availability at the time of hiring.
Military Police Basic Training Program
MCOLES has developed a basic military police training program specific to military police veterans who are interested in transitioning to civilian policing. The Military Police Basic Training Program offers qualifying military police veterans the option of attending a eightweek basic police training academy, rather than the full course of study. Curriculum includes legal matters, patrol procedures, detention, police skills, traffic, and special operations. Any military police veteran interested in this program must meet all MCOLES pre-employment standards, including passing the physical fitness test , and the reading/writing examination.
In addition, applicants must:
- Have performed as a military police officer for a minimum of 2080 hours in a specified law enforcement occupational specialty
- Have satisfactorily completed military police training at a federal service school
- Possess an honorable discharge or be currently serving
- Have discontinued employment in the specified law enforcement MOS for no more than five years before the start of the program
- Have proof of Professional Rescuer certification that is valid throughout the duration of the MPBTP.
Questions may also be directed to Joe Kempa at 517-636-0699 or .
Don’t Miss: How To Become A Police Officer In Illinois
Is Being A Military In Bolivia Mandatory
For many years, the military service throughout Latin America it was completely mandatory. It was imposed by the communist system that recruited a large number of young people a year.
Young people aged 17 and over entered and a year after the corresponding isolation was carried out, which lasted approximately two or three years.
But this is not still in force today, because this system of compulsory service was completely abolished in 2001, to become a voluntary and remunerated process, which is beneficial for society in Bolivia.
The Basic Military Police Training
In Fort Leonardwood, Missouri at the USMC Detachment, Marine Corps students are taught the skills necessary to function in the Operating Force and Supporting Establishment during peacetime and time of conflict. The students will receive instruction and practical application in the following areas related to the missions of the Military Police: Law Enforcement Operations, Law and Order Operations, Detainee/Corrections Operations, Law Enforcement Support to Mission Assurance Operations.
Recommended Reading: How To File Police Report Car Accident
Requirements To Be A Military: Admission To The Military College
Now that you know each of the requirements to be military, we are going to explain the entire process and the steps you must follow to make it happen.
In this section you will get all the information you need and thus you will do your procedure with great success.
The entrance to the Military College of Bolivia It is carried out for free, and the whole process is quite quick and easy. An important fact to highlight is that the Military College enters approximately 120,000 young people in its educational plans each year.
National Guard Military Police Training
To become an MP, youll go through 20 weeks of One Station Unit Training, commonly referred to as OSUT training.
OSUT is unique in the fact that for the entire 20 weeks, you will be at the same unit with the same Drill Sergeants and fellow soldiers.
Related Article:Does The National Guard Pay For College? Absolutely!
Typically, in other MOSs, Basic Training will be conducted in one unit and Advanced Training would take place elsewhere with another unit.
Throughout the 20 weeks at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, you will learn the skills of the trade, including:
- Basic Weapon Handling
- Basic Security
Training will take place both in the classroom and in the field.
Youll learn about both missions of an MP: the law enforcement on the home front and the combat support role in the event of a deployment.
Read Also: How Do Police Know If You Have Car Insurance
Consideration Criteria Military Police
Experienced military police officers will have their Canadian Forces service time recognized from the beginning of their Regular Force-Basic Military Police Training to their release date . Military police applications must include:
- a completed application submitted online at applynow.apats.ca
- a resume and detailed list of any seminars and/or external courses obtained
- at least two years of Personnel Evaluation Reports and an up-to-date Members Personnel Record Resume and
- a QL3 course certificate.
Time spent in Basic Military Qualification , field platoons, or their equivalents do not qualify for this consideration.
An applicant may also be considered if they have Advanced Military Police Training . These applications must include:
- evidence of at least two years of garrison policing experience over their military police careers
- proof of current employment as a military police officer with the Canadian Forces Military Police Branch
- verification of good standing with the Canadian Forces Military Police Branch
- a completed application package that includes the Personal Disclosure Form
- at least two years of Personnel Evaluation Reports and an up-to-date Members Personnel Record Resume
- a resume and detailed list of any seminars and/or external courses obtained and
- both QL3 and QL5 course certificates.
Q Does Having A Degree Or Certificate Program Advance Me Further In The Recruitment Process
A. We consider having a degree or a certificate to be an additional asset. Although the knowledge and skills acquired through obtaining a degree or a certificate may help you in particular stages of the competition, in and of itself it isn’t a determining factor in advancing you through the process.
Recommended Reading: Can I Sue The Police Department
What Are The Requirements For Military Police
Military police officers must be at least 18 years old and they must be enlisted or commissioned in one of the four branches of the United States military. They must be eligible to receive a confidential security clearance, which will require a background investigation.
Searches Requiring A Warrant
36. The QR& O require that any member who conducts an investigation that involves a search consider whether a search warrant is necessary prior to conducting that search.30 This is a threshold question that must be answered before a search is to be conducted. Where a search warrant is required to conduct a search in Canada, the investigators will normally seek the search warrant from a civilian judicial authority under the Criminal Code, by way of an application before a justice.31 If an investigator contemplates seeking a search warrant from a CO under the Code of Service Discipline for a search in Canada, the unit legal advisor should be consulted beforehand. Military search warrants would most often be used outside Canada while deployed at sea or on operations.
37. A CO may issue a search warrant if satisfied by information on oath that there is in any quarters, locker, storage space or personal or movable property:32
Any items that have been seized should be brought before the issuing CO as soon as practical.35
Don’t Miss: Can Police Check If Insurance Is Valid
Who Should Become An National Guard Mp
Enlisting as a military policeman is a big decision and should not be taken lightly.
Some things that you may consider before you enlist are:
- Do you have an interest in Law Enforcement? Even though MPs have a combat role, if you get into a unit that focuses on domestic operations you will be policing your fellow soldiers.
- Are you able to deal with people? Being an MP involves dealing with people across a variety of situations.
- Can you handle stress? Every situation you encounter, whether law enforcement or combat support, will be unique, and many will be intense. Stress will be a daily part of life and being able to handle stress is vitally important.
Education For Military Police
No matter the course, you can expect military law enforcement training to include managing traffic, criminal investigations, prisoner handling, and riot control, as well as covering unique military subjects like crew-served weaponry, Military Operations in Urban Terrain , and the laws of war.
- Army training for new recruits takes place at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, and lasts 20 weeks. It includes basic training and combat training on top of actual classroom and on-the-job instruction for the MOS.
- The Marines also send their MPs to the Armys schoolhouse at Ft. Leonard Wood, but since theyve already graduated their own boot camp and combat training, they only attend the Basic Military Police Course for three months. Marines share bunks at the Leonard Wood Marine Detachment with students training at other Army schools to become motor transport operators, chemical/biological/radiation/nuclear defense technicians, and engineers.
- Navy Masters-at-Arms students attend 45 days of training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
- Air Force Security Force students also go to school at Lackland, but for approximately three months.
Also Check: How Do I Become A Police Officer
An Example Of Life As A National Guard Mp
To showcase an example of a National Guard MP, Ill detail my experience so far. I enlisted in 2017 in May and went to training in September.
My training lasted until March. I wont go too much into detail about this part as I could write a whole book about it, but Ill say this: it definitely sucked, but it was something that Im very thankful that I did.
After graduation, I went to my unit in middle Tennessee which was a medium-sized MP company that was attached to an Engineering Battalion.
On drill weekends, we would train in our combat support mission: convoy security, crew-served weapons, and other field operations.
We work with our HMMWVs every drill and incorporate them into as many training exercises that we can.
Since my unit is focusing on the combat support role, I have completed almost no training for the law enforcement mission that MPs also have.
However, a friend of mine that I graduated MP school with was assigned to a unit that focused on law enforcement, and the exact opposite is true for his unit: they train exclusively for law enforcement and focus nothing on combat skills.
Overall, the unit you are assigned to as an MP will determine which area you focus in.
My unit focuses on convoy operations because we are attached to an Engineering Battalion.
Determining exactly what youll be doing at your unit before you arrive is almost impossible because of the broad range of jobs of a National Guard MP.
Stage 11 Psychological Testing
Candidates must undergo psychological testing to determine their suitability to be a police officer. Candidates who advance to this stage will be provided with an appointment by Halifax Regional Police Human Resources to meet with their designated psychologist. The result of the psychological testing will be made available to Human Resources and formulate part of their holistic review of a candidate.
Become A Police Officer With Halifax Regional Police
Halifax Regional Police’s 2021 cadet class program application deadline is now closed.
The HRP’s Police Science Program prepares cadets to become police officers with Halifax Regional Police. Cadets who successfully complete the program will be offered employment with HRP as either full-time police officers or reserve officers, depending on availability at the time of hiring.
This Is A First Step For Many Who Seek A Career In Criminal Justice
Most people who choose to enter into careers in criminal justice and criminology do so because they’re service-minded individuals looking to help others. Of course, they also want career stability, excellent training, and opportunities for advancement. There are few better places to get all of those than serving with the military police.
Read Also: How To Become A Police Officer In Pa