What Crimes Can I Report Online
If the crime you need to report is not listed, you cannot file it online.
Crimes that can be filed online usually do not require an in-person police response.
To file online, the following criteria must be met:
- This is not an emergency situation.
- The incident occurred within Seattle city limits.*
- There are no known suspects or information about the crime that can be followed up on.
Seattle residentsIdentity Theft
Facts Versus Opinions In Police Reports
The information contained in the police report can be a fact or an opinion. For example, the date, time, and location of the collision are facts. Fault determinations are the opinions of the police officer.
Regardless of whats included in the police report, the insurance company, through its own investigation, will come to its own conclusion as to who was at fault for the accident.
How Long Will My Report Take To Process
- Normally, you will receive a response from the CORP reviewer within five business days.
- In the meantime you will be given a temporary transaction number to document your submission. This temporary number is NOT your police report number.
- Once your report has been reviewed and approved, your report number will be issued to you by email.
If you have already filed a report and realize you need the report approved quicker than 5 days – you can do that by calling the non-emergency number 206-625-5011 and asking to file the report with the Communications Section.
Be sure to tell them you have already filed the same report through the online reporting system, and give them the temporary transaction number you were provided when you filed the report online so they may include it in the narrative of your report.
Recommended Reading: Can You See If Someone Filed A Police Report
To File A Police Report See Options Below
NOTICE: Please see below a breakdown of what you CAN and CANNOT file online. Any report filed online not meeting the below-listed requirements WILL BE REDIRECTED. Please read the information below carefully.
Types of Crime Reports That Can Be Filed Online:
- Harassing phone calls.
- Vehicle burglary: property stolen from a vehicle.
- Vehicle tampering, including vandalism.
- Theft unless it involves a residential or commercial burglary or the stolen property is a passport, firearm, license plate, car or electric vehicle. Electric bikes, scooters, and Segway are allowed only when there is no serial number. In those cases, call our non-emergency number at .
Types of Crime Reports That CANNOT Be Filed Online:
- Residential Burglaries
- Robbery Incidents
- Traffic Collisions AND Hit & Run Traffic Collisions
- Stolen Vehicles
- Stolen Electric Bicycles WITH Serial Numbers
- Cases WITH Suspect Names
For Crime Reports That CANNOT Be Filed Online, Please Go To Your Nearest Police Station.
Why It Is Important To Know How To File An Online Police Report
In a world in which crime is happening all around us, it is truly important that we all know how to protect not just ourselves and our families but our communities as well. This is why knowing how to file an online police report is crucial. Although the offences dealt with by online police reports are relatively minor in comparison to more serious crimes, this does not mean that you should consider them unworthy of reporting.
Someone will have been hurt in each of these instances and it is your duty, whether you were the person who was hurt or not, that you report it in order that the preparator be brought to justice.
You May Like: How To Become An Undercover Police Officer
Which Crimes You Can Report Online
As you might have guessed from the above paragraphs, it is important that if the incident is an emergency that you call 911 or contact your local sheriffs department directly rather than attempt to file a report online. This is because the police will be able to respond to a more serious incident immediately whereas, although online filed reports are acted on swiftly, it may be a day or so before they are dealt with meaning that in life-or-death situations they arent the most reliable way to report a crime online.
There, the type of crimes that you can report online is somewhat limited. So, if you are thinking of reporting a crime online then you must keep in mind that these are the kind of crimes you should be reporting and not any others as if a situation is especially serious it needs to be dealt with quickly.
The crimes that you should report online are as follow:
Can I File A Police Report Online
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Fair Punishment Team
When you have witnessed a crime, it is understandable that you might feel some distress. Crime is a horrible thing to witness first-hand and seeing one on your doorstep or close to where you live can be a hard thing to process.
But it is important that if you do see a crime, no matter how minor, that you report it to the police. This will not only ensure that the victim of the crime sees justice but also that the perpetrator not only faces the consequences of their actions but will be unable to commit their crime again.
However, if you have witnessed a crime but have no idea how or what to report then you may feel just as stressed as when you first saw the crime itself. Unless you know how the criminal justice system works in America you wont know what the appropriate way is to report a crime.
So, if you are wondering can I file a police report online, then you are in luck because this article will set out whether or not you can file a police report online or not.
Don’t Miss: Where Do I Get My Police Report Copy At
What Happens After I File A Report Online
- You will be given a temporary police report number.
- Your report will be reviewed, and when approved, a Case Number will be assigned to your report.
- If further investigation is necessary, you will be contacted via email or telephone. If contacted, you will have seven days to reply.
- You will be provided a copy of the police report to keep for your records.
You May Like: What Software Do Police Use To Track Cell Phones
File An Official Complaint
Because of the nature of law enforcement, we understand that citizens on occasion may object to the actions of the police, or may feel theirconduct is inappropriate. Therefore, we have established procedures for citizens to report their concerns to the Internal Affairs Bureau.
Fill out this form if you wish to file a formal and official complaint against police with the Philadelphia Police Department. This electronicform will be sent directly to personnel in the PPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau.
Also Check: How To Support Local Police
What Do I Do If I Have Problems Or Am Not Able To Complete An Online Crime Report
You may be able to file your report by phone by calling police communications at 408-277-8900 Monday through Friday, from Noon to 4:00PM or, you may visit the police administration building and make your report to an officer at the information desk.
How To Report A Crime In San Francisco
Make the right call!
Dial only in an emergency
It is an emergency if: there is an immediate threat to you or others the crime involves a weapon the crime is in progress or you know the suspects location.
If it is not an emergency, you will get help most quickly by calling our non-emergency line, at for crimes that occurred in San Francisco.
Recommended Reading: Why Defunding The Police Is A Bad Idea
If This Is An Emergency Please Call 911
The online citizen police report system allows you to submit a report immediately and print a copy of the police report for free. You can use this report to file with your insurance company.
All cases filed within this system will be reviewed, but for a number of reasons most will not be investigated. However, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted for follow-up or additional details.
Filing a False Police Report is a First Degree Misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $1,000.00 and/or imprisonment not to exceed one year.
Filing A Report In Person
Don’t Miss: How To Become A Military Police Officer
Checklist For Reporting Crime:
The ability of the police to locate and arrest criminals often depends on the thoroughness and accuracy of the report. Use the following list to assist you in reporting your crime:
- Date and time crime occurred
- Location: exact street address and nearest cross street
- Number of persons injured and types of injuries
- Vehicle information â type, license number, color, year, make, model, additional people in the vehicle, and unusual characteristics
- Suspect information â race, gender, age, height, weight, hair color, hair length/style, eye color, facial hair, clothing type/color, other characteristics and information on where they went after the crime was committed
What Are The Essential Parts Of The Motor Vehicle Accident Report In Georgia
Every police report contains four necessary parts. These include:
- The front of the crash report. This portion contains some of the most vital information about the crash.
- The back of the crash report. Although the back of the report often contains less information, it is still important because it allows the reporting officer to give a narrative account of what happened just before, during, and after the accident. It also includes information that the drivers shared with the officer and the officers opinion about what caused the crash. It even allows a space for the officer to draw a diagram of the accident. Information on specific property damage is also included on this back page.
- The overlay. The overlay provides information about the various codes and data fields that are found on the crash report. It used as a key to correctly read the report.
- Continuation sheet or supplemental report form. In some situations, the officer needs more space to accurately report all of the information gathered as part of their investigation. Continuation sheets or supplement forms allow the officer to include all of the information that they think is important or necessary.
The State of Georgia uses electronic means to create and submit Accident Reports. That means that an officer does not have to physically write out an Accident Report. The information is provided to a computer program so that it is easier to read and complete data is provided.
Tell The Incident Story Backward
This format is not what I would call a report. It is a statement from the writer saying what happened to them. In fact, in most cases, the crime has already occurred and the writer is telling the story backward. When asked why they write this way, many report writers will state that they dont want to make it look like they are making it up they want to emphasize where they received the information.
I have a simple startup paragraph that relieves this concern and makes it clear where the information came from:
I, , on received a call to reference to . My investigation revealed the following information.
This one short paragraph is interpreted to mean you talked to all the parties involved and examined the evidence. A report is not a statement of what the writer did . A report tells the story of what happened, based on the investigation.
Some writers are concerned about being required to testify about what the report revealed. This is not a concern. You only testify to what you did, heard or saw.
When a witness tells you what they saw, you cannot testify to those facts, only that they said it to you. Their information should be thoroughly documented in their own written statements. Each witness, victim or suspect will testify to their own part in the case. Crime scene technicians and experts will testify to the evidence and how it relates to the case.
The investigating officer that writes the report is one of those crayons.
What To Do If The Police Dont Come
If a police officer doesnt come to the scene of the auto accident, you can actually go to the police department to file your report. You can often do so online or at the police station.
You can also file an accident report with the DMV. In some cases, you may actually be required to do so. Visit our page on filing accident reports with the DMV to learn more.
Remember, the more documentation you have, the more evidence you have to support your claim.
Also Check: What Is A Citation Police
Report Crime Anonymously: Contact Crimestoppers
Crimestoppers is an independent charity working to solve and prevent crime. Its a way for people, who for whatever reason may be reluctant to tell Police what they know, to anonymously report information about crime and criminals via an independent third party. You can contact Crimestoppers anonymously when you know about a crime that has been, or is being committed, you suspect a crime is being planned, or any other activity you think is illegal. To report a crime anonymously:
- Fill in the secure online Giving information form.
Find out more on the Crimestoppers website.
Filing A Telephone Report
Also Check: How Can Police Track Your Phone
San Jose Police Department Ca
Apps for Android and iPhone!
P3 Tips Mobile enables tipsters to submit secure and anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers.
- Include images and video with your tips
- Anonymous two-way dialogue
- Real-time chat with your police department.
Get the App…
If this is an emergency or the crime is in progress, please call 911 or 277-8911.
If you want to provide a crime tip, visit the Crime Stoppers website at www.svcrimestoppers.org.
Crimes Not In Progress
Depending on where the crime occurred, you may report the crime to agencies such as the MTA police, NY State Police, or Port Authority Police, if the location of the crime falls within their respective jurisdictions. Otherwise, for certain report types, you can file an online police report or you can visit your local precinct.
Recommended Reading: How To Get A Police Report In Florida
File A Police Report Online:
If you have an email address you can file an online police report for many types of crime by clicking below on the language of your choice.
Powered by CopLogic. Please turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing your report. Note that we cannot accept online reports involving known suspects, suspect descriptions or surveillance records.