What Information Should I Collect At The Accident Scene For Police Records
There are several steps to take after being involved in an accident in order to file a police report. You need to be aware of how to gather evidence for your auto accident claim. First, you will need to phone the police from the area as soon as possible after the accident occurs. Next, when the police arrive you will discuss the details of the accident with one of the police officers that arrive at the scene.
The police officer will interview you, the other driver, as well as any other witnesses who viewed the accident in order to determine what happened. Once the police report is filed it is important to make sure that you obtain a copy of the report. You will need to send a copy of the police report to your insurance company.
What will the police do at the scene of an auto accident?
In addition to providing evidence of an accident, a police report provides an unbiased third-party report about the accident. This can be more effective evidence than the retelling of the story by either you or the other person involved in the accident.
Another important reason to file a police report is that police reports are required by insurance companies if a personal injury lawsuit is filed. Watch the video below for a detailed explanation of what police do at the scene of the accident, and how their report will affect your insurance claim.
Some of the most important information police will collect is:
What happens if the police do not come to the accident?
Collision With Stationary Object
You dont always need a police report if you collide with a stationary object. However, if you believe youre not at-fault for the accident, you might want to get a third-party objective review with a police officer.
The accident report will include any personal injury you incur as well as the extent of the damage. It will also include any external factors, like bad weather conditions or a missing stop sign. This can help prove that you werent at-fault, which can help speed up the claims process.
Keep in mind that the object you hit might also be considered personal property. You could end up getting sued for damage to someones mailbox, pole, or trees, for example. A police report can help prove your responsibility in the accident and the extent of damage, so you arent on the hook for more money in the case of a lawsuit.
Accidents with a stationary object or other damage from weather would be covered under your comprehensive auto insurance.
Do You Need A Police Report To File A Claim
The short answer is no you still can file a personal injury claim without a police report. However, without an official report of the accident, youll need to do a great deal more work in proving your claim. In addition, the compensation that you may receive for your medical expenses might be delayed or even reduced.
Why does it help to have a police report? Well, in any any legal case involving an auto accident, a police report provides key evidence an objective, third-party account of the collision. It usually contains immediate details of the scene and damages after the crash, as well as takes into account the points of view all involved parties.
Without a police report, youll need to come up with other evidence that supports your claim.
Don’t Miss: How To Become A Police Officer In Illinois
Why Does A Police Report Matter
A police report is important because it validates to an insurance company that your car accident actually happened. Without a police report accompanying your claim, the insurer will be much more likely to deny it. You can still prove that it happened with other forms of evidence, but you will be setting yourself up for an uphill battle that couldve been made much easier had you just reported the accident to the police in the first place.
Were you in a car accident in Kentucky and need help figuring out what to do about the police report? Why not let the highly experienced and reputable team of attorneys from Kentucky Injury Law Center lend a hand? Call 423-0023 or contact us online right away.
Do I Have To Report An Accident In A Parking Lot
Back into a car in the parking lot? Did your car get hit while you were in the store? Parking lot accidents should be treated the same as an accident on a road. Use the same rules above to assess the situation and your need to file an accident report. Call your insurer to notify them of the accident.
You May Like: What Should I Do To Become A Police Officer
What Is A Car Insurance Claim
When you have an auto accident or otherwise experience damage to your vehicle, you can file a claim with your car insurance policy. After you pay your plan’s deductible, or out-of-pocket amount, the insurance company will cover the remaining repair expenses up to the limit of your policy, according to auto insurance website, The Zebra.
Can Filing A Report Late Affect Your Insurance Claim
Not filing a police report immediately after the auto accident does not mean you will not be able to recover compensation. But it can either prolong the process of your insurance claim or lawsuit to reach a favorable verdict or makes it challenging in other ways.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Don’t Miss: How To Become A Police Officer In Alabama
Call The Police To Report The Accident
- Dial 911, wait for the police to arrive, and answer any questions so the officer can file an official police report. In some states, calling the police is required by law.
- You’ll likely be asked to provide your driver’s license and insurance information as part of the standard law enforcement procedures.
- When the police are ready to take down your report, tell them what happened it’s best to stick with the facts.
- Ask for the name and badge number of all officers you engage with, as well as where you can get a copy of the police report. Your insurance company may request a copy of the report if you file a claim.
- If the police can’t get to the scene or aren’t dispatched, exchange information with the other driver. You can usually file a report yourself at your local police station or department of motor vehicles instead.
Regardless of who caused the crash, it’s always a good idea to relay your version of the incident to the officer handling the police report even after a minor car accident.
Reporting Recent Car Accidents In Alberta
If you were involved in an accident, you should report it to police as soon as possible. If the damage exceeds $2,000 and the vehicle is driveable, you have 24 hours to file a report at your local police station. Failure to do so could result in a fine.
Depending on the details of your car insurance, you will have a certain time period to report a car accident to your insurer. Generally you have 30 days. Check with your advisor for clarification.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Find Police Records
Tell Us Everything That Was Stolen
1. Next, well need to know what was stolen, and confirm you owned these items. AI Jim will ask you to list out the following:
- Item name
- Item price
- When and where you bought it
2. Youll also need to prove you owned these items. Receipts are the best way to do so, or you can use email order confirmations as proof of purchase.
A few notes:
- We know not everyone saves their receipts so if you dont have them, a member of the claims team will follow up with some instructions.
- If you cant find your receipt, you can pause your claim, go away and search for it, and then return to where you left off in your claim process.
- Pro tip: Make sure to keep your receipts on the more expensive stuff you buy, say $250 and up, in case you ever have to file a claim. Even if you dont have the receipt, keeping a note of where and when you purchased more expensive items will help us help you.
What You Can Find In A Police Accident Report
The investigating law enforcement officer who shows up at the scene of your accident explores and records many details about the incident including:
- Location, date, and time of the accident
- Names and contact information for all parties
- Witness contact information
- Any laws violated or citations issued
- Officers opinion regarding cause and fault
Read Also: Do You Have To Report Car Accident To Police
Car Accident Claims Tip: Report The Accident And Request A Copy Of The Police Report
While the police report is important, it is not necessarily conclusive. The report is part of the overall investigation. The details included within the report help to set the table for what happens next. For this reason, it is essential that you make your voice heard when the police come. When possible, your story should be in the police report. The report will be reviewed closely by insurance adjustersso it is crucial that you ensure that the officer is writing down the accurate version of events. The report will also include basic information about the crash, including:
- The time and date
- The names of the drivers involved
- Vehicle information of the cars involved
- Names of eyewitnesses
Accidents With Less Than $2000 Damage But Still Are Required To Be Reported
There are certain instances where you are still need to report an accident, even if there is less than $2,000 damage :
- A crime was committed impaired driving, stolen vehicle, etc.
- There is an injury
- A vehicle is transporting dangerous goods
- The accident involves a government vehicle
- The driver is uninsured or doesnt have a license
- There is damage to private property
- The accident involved a pedestrian or cyclist
Don’t Miss: How To Tell If Police Are Looking For You
Talk With A Car Accident Attorney Today
A car accident claim calls for immediate action. Call our North Carolina car accident and truck accident lawyers today at 1-800-525-7111 for a FREE consultation.
We have convenient offices across North Carolina and can even come to you if you prefer. Free consultations are also available by phone, email, text, and video conference.
I would not have won my case without the help from my team at Riddle & Brantley.
Jonathan S., Riddle & Brantley client
Call 1-800-525-7111 and lets review your claim.
Requirements For Filing An Online Report
Crimes filed online often don’t need in-person police response. To file online, the incident has to meet the following criteria:
- It’s not an emergency
- There’s no known information or suspects about the crime that can be followed up on
- You must have a return email address
- You must be 18 years or older
Ensure you have the following details to submit your report:
- Date and time when the incident occurred
- Location, address, and name of the business where the incident happened
- Your name, date of birth and contact information
- The name, date of birth and contact information of other persons involved in the incident
- If the report involves property, includes make, description, serial number, model and estimated property value
You May Like: How To Be A K9 Unit Police Officer
When To Call The Police
There are two situations in which you really need to call the police. If your claim has anything to do with an accident with another party, the police should come to the scene and file a report. This includes accidents with another vehicle, accidents involving a biker, or accidents involving a bicyclist or pedestrian.
You will also need to call the police and file a report if your vehicle is damaged by vandalism or stolen. A police report must be filed, and the police must see the damage or investigate the theft in order for you to get compensation from the car insurance company.
Why Is It Important To Call The Police After A Car Accident In Atlanta
The only time you should even contemplate not calling the police is in the rare event that you do not believe the crash resulted in any injuries and damage to your vehicle appears to be less than $500, or you do not need to use your own auto insurance to cover any of your damages. However, we always recommend that everyone involved in a crash call the police, even if you do not believe you will file a car accident claim.
Why? Because having the police investigate the wreck and determine who was at fault gives you an independent and reliable third-party witness to who caused the accident. Without a report of this nature, you are left to explain how the accident occurred to the other drivers insurance company on your own.
What if the other driver tells his or her insurance company a different story? The insurance company will almost always side with their insured. Then it becomes he said-she said situation.
In addition, the reason you do not want to call the police is not a good one either often times. We have seen many, many injury cases where the client felt fine at the scene of the crash only to learn days or weeks later that he or she was actually severely injured.
You always want to err on the side of caution and have the police investigate the wreck and determine who was at fault. This will make it easier to reach a car accident insurance claim settlement.
You May Like: How To Volunteer For Police Department
Scan Your Police Report
Next, take a photo of your police report via the app.
How do I get a police report?
If your stuff was snatched, the police should be your first call. You should ask for:
- A copy of your police report with stolen items and corresponding values listed
- Incident number
- Officer name
If you forgot to take a copy of the report at the time of the theft, visit your local police departments website and follow their instructions on how to get a copy.
A couple of notes:
- All theft claims require a police report. The quicker you upload the report, the greater the chances youll have your claim paid fast!
- We cant access or retrieve a police report on your behalf, and we need it to approve your claim. Youll need to take a photo or fill out the details of the police report to complete your claim.
How To File A Police Report And Make A Claim
Just because you file a police report does not mean that you are making an insurance claim. The police report serves only as a record of the incident.
Sometimes the parties involved choose to handle the financial issues between themselves. But this is not a good idea, because it puts you at risk.
Filing the police report will provide your insurance company with an accurate account of the crash. This will allow them to represent you in anything that comes up about the accident, so you do not have to handle it by yourself.
Do not leave the scene until the police take a full report. A report will protect you if there are any legal problems that arise as a result of the crash. The police may help you submit the report to the Department of Motor Vehicles if needed.
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, many insurance policies require that you file a police report within 24 hours in order to have a claim paid.
Also Check: How Do Police Dogs Get Trained
Why Does It Help To Have A Police Report
While you can still file a claim, if you do not have a police report from your accident, this could make it more difficult to obtain insurance coverage for your property damage and injuries. For example, some of the issues you are likely to encounter include:
- Your insurance company might dispute that the accident happened. If you dont have a police report, your insurance company may question your claim that your vehicle damage and injuries resulted from a collision.
- The insurance company might claim that you have inadequate evidence to receive coverage. Even if the insurer does not dispute that the accident happened, not having a police report could still make it more difficult to recover just compensation. This is particularly true if you are filing a fault-based claim under the other drivers insurance policy.
But, even though a police report can help to streamline the process of proving your right to coverage, in most cases accident victims will have access to various other forms of evidence as well. For example, if you do not have a police report, it may still be possible to secure coverage by presenting evidence including:
- Statements from eyewitnesses
How Do You File A Police Report
There are several ways to make a police report. You can file online, in-person, or even call depending on the nature of the crime you’re reporting. Here’s how to file a report using these methods:
|File Online||You can file an online police report for the crimes listed above. You’ll need a valid email address to file your online report and meet the criteria specified above.|
|Make a call||If your incident didn’t meet the criteria for online reporting, call a non-emergency police response. If it’s an emergency a crime that involves a weapon or possesses an immediate threat to those around dial 911.|
|In-Person||Alternatively, you can walk into a police station near where the incident transpired and file a report. The police will ask about the incident, location, your contact details, and evidence .|
Also Check: How Long Is The Police Academy In Florida