Step : Make Sure Your Occurrence Can Be Reported Online
Use the information below to see if you can use this system. If your occurrence qualifies for online reporting, proceed to the next step. If your occurrence does not qualify for online reporting, it cannot be accepted by the officer managing online reporting. These occurrences require contact with a local OPP officer for investigation. Please call the OPP toll-free at 1-888-310-1122 to file a report. Links to external websites including those with video, digital images or documents that are not supported by this application cannot be managed through this online reporting service. Please include a narrative description of the occurrence if you will be filing an online report.
Criteria For Filing An Online Report:
- This is not an Emergency
- The incident does not involve personal violence nor a hate crime
- You must have a valid email address to use this system. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose.
- There are no known suspects – either person or vehicle – and there is no visible physical evidence at the scene
- If the incident occurred on a provincial highway or outside the Saskatoon Police Service jurisdictional limits – refer to the FAQ.
- Only the below types of reports are allowed to be completed online – see definitions for each type.
- Reports may not be filed on behalf of a 3rd party except in the case of children. Reports must be filed by the actual complainant, owner or authorized representative.
If your incident falls within the above criteria, you are ready to file your report online. Please make sure to turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report.
Note: Only information fields noted with the red * are mandatory.
Who Files The Collision Report
- If a law enforcement officer investigates the collisionYou don’t need to complete a collision report. The investigating officer will file one.
- If no law enforcement officer investigates the collisionEach driver involved in the collision must submit a report within 4 days of the collision. You can submit a report online or get collision report forms from your local police Department, county sheriff’s office, or Washington State Patrol detachment.
You May Like: How To Hire A Police Officer For A Party
Online Police Report Faq
Some types of crimes can be reported using the “CopLogic” online reporting application.
You may be able to file an incident report online, and once it has been processed, receive a Police Report that can be used for insurance purposes.
The Police online reporting systems and procedures do not accept crime reports for any crime types other than those listed below.
You must CALL Police Communications to report ALL OTHER CRIME TYPES, by telephoning: 277-8900.
- Defrauding an Innkeeper
- Fraudulent use of Credit / Debit card
- Harassing Communications
Are You The Victim Of Mischief Theft Vandalism Or Graffiti
You can complete a police report online without having to go to the local station. If the offence did not take place in the Montréal Island area, you will have to contact the local police department where it occurred.
If there was a suspect or witness, or if the incident had a hateful connotation,
If you have been a victim of a telemarketing fraud or pyramid sales scheme, you should contact the RCMP.
To report a hate incident, .
Since November 29th, 2018, hit and run reports that do not contain investigative elements cannot be submitted using the SPVM online report. From now on, citizens have to contact directly their insurance company.
5 types of reports may be done online.
|See pictures specifications|
After submitting the report, a temporary number will be automatically sent to you by email. All communication will be done by email. Your report will be reviewed and if any changes are required, you will be sent a request for changes. Once the report is corrected and approved, you will receive an official event number by email, as well as a PDF copy of the report.
Make sure you have a valid email address as well as the date and location of the crime and information on the vehicle involved, if applicable.
If you meet these criteria and the type of incident that occurred appears on the list above, you may file your report.
Avoid using special caracters when writting your report, such as /*+< > . Those may cause an error when subitting your file.
Read Also: How To Get A Police Report In Florida
Why Can’t I Report All Crimes Online
- Only crimes that have no suspects, are not in progress and do not involve injury can be reported online.
- Some crimes and incidents may require evidence collection or other investigative procedures requiring an officer’s involvement.
- Among others, online reporting is NOT appropriate for the following crimes or incidents:
- Incidents occurring within past 30 minutes
- Violent crimes, completed or attempted
- Sex crimes
- Theft or loss of a firearm
- Theft or loss of prescription drugs or other controlled substances.
- Stolen vehicles, completed or attempted
- Stolen license plate
- Burglary of your home or business
- Crimes committed due to race, religion, ethnic or national origin, disability and/or sexual orientation
- Aggressive driving
The Importance Of Filing A Police Report
First, the police report will prove the date and time of the accident. This is important because hit and run drivers often claim they were somewhere else at the time of the accident. Without the police report to substantiate the time of the accident, it will become your word against the drivers.
Further, the police report is necessary to make an uninsured motorist claim. If the driver is uninsured or never identified and found, you may have the ability to make an uninsured motorist claim through your own insurance company.
However, theyre going to insist that you have a police report, or they wont even consider your claim.
Finally, if you decide to file a civil suit against the driver, a police report will be necessary. When police are called to the scene of a hit and run within 24-hours, theyre able to perform a thorough investigation, speak to witnesses, search for clues, and gain access to any security cameras in the area.
Sometimes its the police investigation, itself, that provides the most solid evidence of fault.
Read Also: Can I See My Police Report Online
What Is A Hit And Run
When a vehicle or other property has been struck and damaged by another vehicle, no injuries have occurred, and the responsible party left the scene without providing identifying information.
Example: Your vehicle is parked, unoccupied and is struck by another vehicle. No suspect vehicle information or evidence available. No paint transferred.
What Happens After I File A Report
Don’t Miss: What Do You Do To Become A Police Officer
Stolen Car Police Report
If your car was stolen, it is strongly advised that you file stolen car police report. Not only does this catalyze the process of reclaiming your vehicle but it may keep you from being the responsible for any crimes committed with your car.
It is important to report a stolen car and obtain a police report so that you could also begin an insurance claim, even if you do not have comprehensive car insurance.
How To Get A Copy Of A Police Report
A police report is generated by the investigating officer who responds to a request for assistance at the scene of a car accident. The police report is a summary of information regarding the crashusually containing facts related to the accident and opinions of the investigating officer.
There are two ways to obtain a police report. One way will cost you money, the other probably will not. To obtain a paid copy of the police report, you need to request a copy from the local law enforcement office that drafted the report. Before leaving the scene of the crash, the investigating officer typically will hand you a receipt with the identification number for the police report. Call the traffic division of the local law enforcement agency that responded to the scene of the car accident, pay the administrative fee , and you should have no problem obtaining a copy.
If you do not have or do not know the identification number for the police report, you can provide the date, time, and location of the car accident, along with your name, to assist in locating the report.
To obtain a free copy of the police report, you can ask the insurance adjuster who is handling your claim if they requested the report, and ask for a copy.
Regardless of how you obtain the police report, it may take a few weeks for the investigating officer to complete the report, and for it to become available.
Read Also: How To Locate A Police Officer By Name
Upon Completion Of This Report Process You Will:
- See the words: “Your online police report has been submitted”.
- You will then immediately receive a temporary police report file number and an email informing you that we have received your report and that it is pending review. A temporary file number will appear in this format: T11000999. Temporary file numbers cannot be used for insurance purposes.
- If you do not receive an email with a temporary file number, please check your Spam or Junk-Email folder.
- A police officer will review your report and either Approve, Reject or request additional follow-up information from you. You will be advised via email of the status of your report. Do not reply via email to any of these automated messages as these accounts are not monitored. Follow the directions provided on how to respond regarding your report.
- Once your report is approved, you will receive a permanent report number – this number appears in this format: 11-123456.
- Be able to print a copy of the police report to keep for your records only. This copy cannot be used for insurance purposes.
Facts Versus Opinions In Police Reports
The information contained in the police report can be a fact or an opinion. For example, the date, time, and location of the collision are facts. Fault determinations are the opinions of the police officer.
Regardless of what’s included in the police report, the insurance company, through its own investigation, will come to its own conclusion as to who was at fault for the accident.
You May Like: What Degree To Be A Police Officer
Citizen Online Police Reporting System
Welcome to the Saskatoon Police Service Citizens Online Police Reporting System.
If this is an Emergency please call 911.
Using this Citizens Online Police Reporting System allows you to submit a non urgent report immediately.
You may also print a copy of both the Temporary and the Permanent police report for your personal records only. These copies cannot be used for insurance purposes
Hit And Run Police Report
Accidents involving a hit and run by one or more parties can result in serious penalties so it especially necessary to make a hit and run police report. Hit and runs are illegal and can result in license revocation and even criminal charges.
Filing a police report for a hit and run is imperative even if you do not have much information about the other party or their vehicle.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Need To Become A Police Officer
Car Accident Police Reports
Car accident police reports are mandated in every state. This is because they happen so often and it is vital to keep drivers responsible through legal consequences.
Many states have laws in place to keep residents accountable and safe. These laws mandate getting a police report after an accident. Some states like Colorado require drivers to file a report even for minor fender benders.
On the other hand, states like Vermont mandate that drivers only need to make a car accident police report if the total damage, property or personal injury, is over $3,000. Most states require that you file within 10 days of the accident. Drivers who fail to make a report can get their license suspended or incur violation fines.
A complete and comprehensive accident police report includes the following information:
- Date, time and location of the accident
- Names, address, phone numbers car information and insurance information of all parties involved in accident
- Information that identifies witnesses
- Description of damage on vehicles and injuries
- Weather and road conditions at the site of the accident
- Statements from all parties involved in accident
- Citations given
- Opinion of cause of collision from all parties involved
How To Fill Out A Police Report
For those wondering how long do I have to fill out a police report, there is usually a time limit to file a report with a citys police department. So, if you did not create a report at the time of the accident or crime, you will need to find out how to fill out a police report.
Most often, you will be asked to make a police report for an accident at the scene. However, there are other options if an officer is not dispatched or you experienced a hit and run or simply decided not to call the police.
To ensure the most clarity, it is best to complete a report in person with a police officer, which you can do at the nearest police station. You can also submit an accident police report online. It is advised that you file the report in the same city that the accident occurred.
At the very least, when thinking about how to do a police report correctly, make sure to submit your personal information, details about the surroundings and your vehicle. These are specifications in police investigations even if you do not have information on the burglar or other party.
Read Also: What Do You Do In The Police Academy
What’s In A Police Report
At the scene of the car accident, if you pay close attention you may notice the investigating officer inspecting vehicles, talking to people, measuring distances, writing notes, and taking photographs. The officer is taking some or all of these steps in preparation for drafting the police report. In short, the police report is a summary of the police officer’s investigation of the accident. The report will often contain some or all of the following information:
- approximate date, time, and location of the collision
- identifying information for parties involved in the car accident, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information
- identifying information for witnesses
- statements from the parties and witnesses
- citations and/or violations of law, and
- opinions as to cause of the collision and/or a fault determination.
Hit And Run Accident Reports: Time Is Of The Essence
Have you found yourself seriously injured as a result of a drivers negligence? When it comes to how early you should report a hit and run to the police, time is of the essence.
In Texas, the statute of limitations gives you 2-years to report a hit and run accident as a crime to the police. However, if you dont report the accident within 24-hours, you may lose the ability to file an insurance claim, and evidence and witnesses will disappear, weakening the investigation.
How Does A Hit
A hit-and-run accident claim is paid out under the Collision coverage of your auto insurance policy. You may be able to avoid this cost if you have a $0 deductible coverage included on your policy. Note that hit-and-run accidents are typically the only accident in which you are not at fault for which you will be required to pay your collision deductible.
However, if the driver who hit your car can be identified, the loss may be paid out under the Direct compensation property damage coverage of your policy which is normally not subject to a deductible. For this reason, its always best to speak to any potential witnesses.
What Do I Do If I Have Problems Or Am Not Able To Complete An Online Crime Report
You may be able to file your report by phone by calling police communications at 408-277-8900 Monday through Friday, from Noon to 4:00PM or, you may visit the police administration building and make your report to an officer at the information desk.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is It To Get Into The Police Academy
San Jose Police Department Ca
Apps for Android and iPhone!
P3 Tips Mobile enables tipsters to submit secure and anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers.
- Include images and video with your tips
- Anonymous two-way dialogue
- Real-time chat with your police department.
Get the App…
If this is an emergency or the crime is in progress, please call 911 or 277-8911.
If you want to provide a crime tip, visit the Crime Stoppers website at www.svcrimestoppers.org.
What If I Need To Change My Report After I File It
You will have the ability to file online supplemental reports. If you have already filed a report through the online system, we strongly encourage you to continue to update and add information through this system. This decreases the risk of filing the same report twice, and also makes it easier to keep your information tied to the correct report number.
You will need either:
- Your temporary transaction
- Your police report number
You May Like: What Is The Best Police Radar Detector