Victims Of Crime With A Disability
Yes. The NYPD works with the MTA and Access-A-Ride to provide 24-hour transportation for elderly/disabled complainants, victims and witnesses who may have difficulty using public transportation. Contact an officer at your local precinct to arrange transportation services.
Yes. Sign language interpreters will be provided for members of the deaf and hard of hearing community. Contact the NYPD employee with whom you are meeting and ask them to schedule an interpreter.
You Can Also Go Online To File A Supplemental Report
File a supplemental report if you want to add information to your original report or to a report that has previously been filed by an SFPD officer. To file a supplemental police report, click on the “File a Police Report” link above, select the appropriate incident type, follow the prompted questions, and select ‘supplemental report’ when prompted.
Use the supplemental report method to report:
- Additional property losses from the same crime
- Additional details to describe stolen property, such as a serial number.
When you have finished entering your report, a temporary report will be emailed to you. This report will not be official until it is approved. Once that happens, we will email you an official copy.
How Long Will My Report Take To Process
- Normally, you will receive a response from the CORP reviewer within five business days.
- In the meantime you will be given a temporary transaction number to document your submission. This temporary number is NOT your police report number.
- Once your report has been reviewed and approved, your report number will be issued to you by email.
If you have already filed a report and realize you need the report approved quicker than 5 days – you can do that by calling the non-emergency number 206-625-5011 and asking to file the report with the Communications Section.
Be sure to tell them you have already filed the same report through the online reporting system, and give them the temporary transaction number you were provided when you filed the report online so they may include it in the narrative of your report.
Also Check: What Is The Best Police Scanner
Get Help After A Sexual Assault
Contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline anytime at 1-800-656-HOPE . They will connect you anonymously with a counselor at your nearest rape treatment center.
Find state domestic violence resources online.
Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline anytime at 1-800-799-SAFE . You can talk confidentially with an advocate or find local resources.
Upon Completion Of This Report Process You Will:
- See the words: “Your online police report has been submitted”.
- You will then immediately receive a temporary police report file number and an email informing you that we have received your report and that it is pending review. A temporary file number will appear in this format: T11000999. Temporary file numbers cannot be used for insurance purposes.
- If you do not receive an email with a temporary file number, please check your Spam or Junk-Email folder.
- A police officer will review your report and either Approve, Reject or request additional follow-up information from you. You will be advised via email of the status of your report. Do not reply via email to any of these automated messages as these accounts are not monitored. Follow the directions provided on how to respond regarding your report.
- Once your report is approved, you will receive a permanent report number – this number appears in this format: 11-123456.
- Be able to print a copy of the police report to keep for your records only. This copy cannot be used for insurance purposes.
Why File An Accident Report With The Police
A car accident is one situation you shouldnt fail to make a formal report. Besides serving as a third-party witness, reasons you must file a crash report include:
- It gives an unbiased story of the incident.
- It serves as more reliable evidence.
- It prevents someone from claiming against you.
- Reports are primary sources of information to your insurance company.
- A police report puts you in a better position to win a compensation claim.
- You could pay a fine or lose your driving license if you fail to report a car crash incidence in a timely manner
Recommended Reading: When Is Police Shift Change
Do Contact A Car Accident Lawyer
You have only a limited time to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit after a traffic accident in Illinois. You should not delay contacting a lawyer.
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., we offer initial consultations that are free, confidential and carry no obligations. The bottom line is that we want you to get legal help right away.
When you engage a car accident lawyer after a car wreck, that lawyer will work hard to protect your interests. No one else will fill this role. Even your insurance company is looking out for its bottom line first as it determines a settlement for your claim.
Your attorney can investigate your case, file all necessary paperwork and seek compensation you deserve for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and more.
For more information, call Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., today toll free or contact us through our convenient online form. Were ready to help you.
You May Like: Can Anyone Become A Police Officer
Complaints Filed Prior To October 19 2009
Complaints filed prior to October 19, 2009 were made to the Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services. The Commission will continue to deal with these complaints until they are concluded. Although current complaints will be made to the OIPRD, if you wish to file a complaint for events occurring before October 19, 2009, you must file with the Commission or with the chief of police of the police service involved. If you file with the Commission, it will forward your complaint to the chief of police of the police service involved for review and investigation.
Hiring An Assault And Battery Lawyer
If you are looking to press charges for an assault, or if you already have pressed charges, it is advisable to find legal representation. Victims who have been harmed by an aggressor in an assault should hire a personal injury lawyer. The attorney will be able to help you pursue a lawsuit against the aggressor for the physical and mental damages they have caused.
If you are the one being accused of assault or battery, look for a criminal defense lawyer to represent you. However, if the victim is suing you for their injuries, hiring a personal injury defense lawyer will be your best bet.
Don’t Miss: Who Can Obtain A Police Report
In The Emergency Room
If you go to an emergency room to get medical care and evidence collected in a rape kit and have not yet made a police report, the hospital will notify law enforcement. An officer will arrive at the hospital and ask to speak with you about the crime. It is important to note that you are never required to talk to law enforcement.
Getting Free Legal Assistance
Survivors in Cook County may qualify for free legal services through CAASE. Our clients receive individualized legal advice, consultation, and representation following and related to sexual harm, with special attention paid to their victims rights within the criminal legal system. This can include assisting before you make a police report, explaining the process, getting law enforcement to respond to your case, and ensuring law enforcement has all the necessary information.
NOTE: Our offices are closed due to concerns about our staff and clients health. We are working remotely, and email is the easiest way to contact our legal team. Please allow up to 72 hours for responses by email and phone.
CAASE published this piece on May 5, 2022. It was authored by Hayley Forrestal with input from Elizabeth Payne, who specializes in representing survivors of sexual harm in the criminal legal process. Learn more about our staff here.
Read Also: How To Train A Dog Like A Police Dog
How To File A Police Report
Depending on the jurisdiction, you can file a police report by contacting the direct line of a police station or visiting the station to file the report in person. Many sexual assault service providers that have advocates to accompany survivors to the hospital also have advocates to accompany survivors while they fill out a police report.
Allure spoke to Jennifer Long, the CEO of AEquitas, an NGO that focuses on issues of gender-based violence, stalking, and human trafficking. Long has years of experience as an attorney, and now her focus is providing training and research so that survivors are not retraumatized when they engage with the system. She says advocates can be incredibly helpful and encourages survivors to ask their own questions.
Talk to community advocates talk to law enforcement about what will happen and what the process looks like, she says. Survivors often dont feel empowered to ask questions because it is a vulnerable time, but they have the right to be informed, and understanding can reduce the anxiety that comes with the process.
After filing a police report, the survivor must then decide whether or not to press charges. For many, this is the step that can be the most intimidating. However, just deciding to file that initial report can be crucial. If the perpetrator commits a crime in the future, the initial report will already be on the record.
Assault With A Deadly Weapon & Felony Assault Charges In California
Someone who does more than swing at another person or throw an object at them may face more serious penalties under California law if they are convicted of assault. However, there are several factors that determine if the offense will be filed as a felony assault charge in California.
First of all, the end result of the assault will have serious bearing on whether the case is viewed as a misdemeanor or a felony. For instance, if the victim suffers serious bodily injury, the assailant is more likely to face felony assault charges in California. If a deadly weapon such as a firearm, a knife, or a flammable substance is involved, the offender may be charged with assault with a deadly weapon or assault with caustic chemicals, both of which may be categorized as felonies.
Of course, no one is injured if an assailant throws a punch but fails to make contact, which is why those cases are viewed as misdemeanors. However, if the victim suffers great bodily injury stemming from the attack, the assailant may face felony charges.
While misdemeanors typically come with a fine and a maximum of six months in jail, felony charges may carry with them a sentence of up to four years under California Penal Code 240. However, to be convicted of felony assault or battery, the prosecutor must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused intended to use force and knew that it would directly and probably result in great bodily injury to the victim.
Don’t Miss: Can You Become A Police Officer At 18
Step : Make Sure Your Occurrence Can Be Reported Online
Use the information below to see if you can use this system. If your occurrence qualifies for online reporting, proceed to the next step. If your occurrence does not qualify for online reporting, it cannot be accepted by the officer managing online reporting. These occurrences require contact with a local OPP officer for investigation. Please call the OPP toll-free at 1-888-310-1122 to file a report. Links to external websites including those with video, digital images or documents that are not supported by this application cannot be managed through this online reporting service. Please include a narrative description of the occurrence if you will be filing an online report.
How Long Do You Have To Press Charges For Assault
The amount of time you have to press charges for an assault depends on your states statute of limitations, which typically ranges from a couple of years to six years. However, it is always advisable to report the crime regardless of how long it has been. The sooner you press charges for the assault, the better the investigation will be.
Keep in mind, in instances where people are assaulted but police officers were not called on the scene or did not arrive on the scene in time, people can still press charges against their assailants by following the appropriate channels. To learn more, heres a look at how long do you have to file a police report.
Read Also: How To See If A Police Report Was Filed
Damage/ Mischief To Property
Has someone damaged, defaced or vandalized public or private property? This may include:
- Breaking windows, mailboxes, throwing eggs, spray painting, writing or drawing on property.
- Accepted only if there are no known suspects.Please Note: If you were a victim of graffiti vandalism, paint vouchers and graffiti wipes are available for pick up at Police Headquarters.
Start An Online Police Report In: English
FILING A FALSE POLICE REPORT IS A CRIME
If your incident did not meet the criteria for online reporting, please dial 1-877-ASK-LAPD
for Non-Emergency Police Response.
Welcome to the Los Angeles Police Department Community Online Reporting Service. Using this service allows you to submit select police reports at your convenience.
IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY OR CRIME IN PROGRESS, PLEASE CALL 911.
To File an Illegal Dumping Report Online:
- Illegal Dumping: Willfully or intentionally depositing, dropping, dumping, placing, or throwing onto public or private property. Illegal dumping is reported and handled by the City of Los Angeles Department of Sanitation. Please to file a report.
Your incident must meet the following criteria:
- The incident is not an emergency.
- The incident occurred within the City of Los Angeles.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- No one was injured as a result of this incident.
- There are no known suspects.
- The incident did not occur on the state highway.
- No firearms were involved in the incident.
- You must have internet access and an email address.
Once you have submitted your report:
- Filing a false police report is a crime. Anyone filing a false police report may be prosecuted under California Penal Code section 148.5 PC. Filing a false police report is punishable by imprisonment in county jail not exceeding 6 months, or by fine not exceeding $1,000, or by both.
Read Also: Does Air Force Have Military Police
Filing A Police Report After An Accident
If there are any injuries and the police dont respond to the accident, file your own police report as soon as possible. It is not unusual for the at-fault party to accept responsibility right after the accident, only to change their story later.
This list of additional measures will help if you file a police report:
In busy metropolitan areas, such as Los Angeles, the police may not take a car accident report unless there are injuries. If this happens, try filing an accident report with the DMV to have your statement and evidence recorded as soon after the accident as possible.
There Are Two Types Of Auto Accident Reports In New York
In New York, the terms accident report and police report can get confusing. In general, when we talk about the filing of a formal report after an auto accident, we are talking about one of two forms:
- MV-104A This is the official police report the responding officer files after your accident. While it is generally the officers responsibility to complete this report, there may be situations where that responsibility falls to you instead .
- MV-104 Some collisions require that each driver file a Report of a Motor Vehicle Accident, also referred to as a Civilian Accident Report . This report should be completed using the information contained in the MV-104A, as well as the Exchange of Information form the responding law enforcement officer should have provided you at the scene of the crash. More on this below.
Read Also: Can Police Know If You Have Insurance
Will My Case Be Investigated
- Due to the nature of the reports filed – they have no known suspects or information to follow up on – we won’t be able to investigate most cases.
- All cases filed through the online reporting system will be reviewed and will help us track crime trends and patterns.
- The reports filed online are also usually the quickest and easiest way to get a report for your insurance company.
When Should I Call Police Instead
- If you have a known suspect. If you know the name or address of the suspect, or if you know the license plate of the vehicle associated to the suspect, please contact Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311
- If the value of theft, loss or property damage is more than $10,000.00
- If your vehicle has been stolen
- If the incident occurred outside of Brampton or Mississauga. Please contact the police service responsible for the area in which the incident occurred
- If someone broke into, or attempted to break into your home, garage or business
- If this is the theft or loss of a firearm
- If this is related to any form of personal violence, including domestic violence.
- If this is related to any kind of vandalism or graffiti that could be hate motivated
- If this is related to a traffic complaint that is in progress
Don’t Miss: How Much Are Cars At Police Auctions