How To Request Records Contained In A Major Collision File
Major Collision Bureau investigates all Motor Vehicle Collisions resulting in a fatality or serious personal injury that occur in the Region of Peel.
If you are NOTthe Involved Party to the Collision
You must provide proof of relationship to the involved party and a signed consent on behalf of the involved individual.
If the Involved Individual is Deceased
You are required to provide an authorization from the legal representative or power of attorney with supporting documents.
***Do Not Send Payment Until You Have Been Invoiced***
Please contact Martine Renwick, Information and Privacy Unit at or email at for additional assistance.
How Can I Get A Copy Of A Police Report
by Alexis Writing / in Money
In the majority of cases, police reports are a matter of public record. This means that any interested in party should be able to obtain a copy of a police report however, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, juvenile records may sometimes be sealed, or the records might be sealed to protect the privacy of the victim. These exceptions vary by state and are sometimes decided by judges on a case-by-case basis. Furthermore, the procedures for obtaining a police report may vary by state as well, although most states use the same types of procedures.
Get A Copy Of Your Police Records
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a subject access request.
You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.
A subject access request has records from:
- police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
- the British Transport Police
Don’t Miss: How To Get Into The Police Department
Facts Versus Opinions In Police Reports
The information contained in the police report can be a fact or an opinion. For example, the date, time, and location of the collision are facts. Fault determinations are the opinions of the police officer.
Regardless of what’s included in the police report, the insurance company, through its own investigation, will come to its own conclusion as to who was at fault for the accident.
How Long Does It Take To Obtain A Police Report
It typically only takes a few days to a week to get a copy of a police report if you were directly involved in the case. However, if you were not directly involved, or if you are an insurance agent, it will take longer because you have to send in a request and have it processed. This process can take up to a month or longer.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Sponsored By A Police Department
Requesting A Police Report By Mail
The process of requesting a copy of a police report by mail is a bit more involved. In many jurisdictions, you are required to make your Public Access Request via mail. Typically, the agency will provide a form online for you to fill out, but some places are fine with you writing a letter to ask for the police report.
1. Figure out where to send the Public Access Request form or letter.
Your local police department may have a specific address and addressee for police report requests listed on their website. If they dont, simply address it to the Records and Identification Division, and use the general address listed online for the department.
2. Fill out the form or write the letter.
After you have found the location to send your request, you should be able to easily find out if they want you to send a request form or a letter. If the information is not readily available on the site, just call and ask which method they prefer. If it is available, filling out a request form is typically the easiest method because you wont have to worry about leaving out information.
If you write a letter instead of filling out the form, be sure to include the following information:
- Case number
- Your Name, Birthdate, and Address
- The date and location of the incident
- Your role in the case
- The officers name who filed the report
- What exactly you are requesting
3. Gather additional materials and send the form/letter.
4. Pay for the police report.
Where To Send The Request
You can send your request
Archives and access to informationP.O. Box 47583 RPO Plateau Mont-RoyalMontréal, QC
*Attention: this is a mailing address. There is no customer service counter.
Please note that fees apply for the reproduction of the following documents :
- Event report: $16,75
- Audio recording of a 911 call: $16,75 a disc
- Copy of an administrative document: $0,41 a page
For example, if you wish to obtain:
- One event report at $16,75
- One 911 call card of 3 pages at $0,41 a page
- One audio recording of a 911 call at $16,75
The fees will add up to $34,73 .
There are several payment methods available to cover the fees:
- A bank cheque made to the order of Ville de Montréal
- A money order made to the order of Ville de Montréal
Restrictions to right of access
Submitting a request for access does not guarantee that you will obtain the desired documents.
The SPVM may refuse to transmit a document or confirm its existence if it contains, for example, information that may interfere with an investigation being conducted, reveal investigation methods, place an individual in danger or cause harm to an individual who provided the information or who is involved in this matter.
The time frame set out by the Act respecting Access to Documents is no later than 20 days following receipt of the request, either by giving access to the documents requested, explaining why the documents are not accessible, or referring the requester to the appropriate organization.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does It Take To Complete Police Academy
Hit And Run Police Report
Accidents involving a hit and run by one or more parties can result in serious penalties so it especially necessary to make a hit and run police report. Hit and runs are illegal and can result in license revocation and even criminal charges.
Filing a police report for a hit and run is imperative even if you do not have much information about the other party or their vehicle.
Request From Ppd Records Department
- You must make an appointment to pick up the report.
- The Records Office can be reached at 243-6416 or at .
- Appointments can be scheduled between the hours of are 8:30 AM to 2:30.
- There are times when the police reports you seek will not be available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act gives a public body ten business days to respond.
- If you feel you have been denied access a police report, you have the right to appeal to the Police Chief.
- If you are still not satisfied, you may file a complaint with the Department of Attorney General, located at 4 Howard Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920, or file suit in Superior Court.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does Police Training Cost
Getting Copy Of A Police Report As A Third Party
Generally, during a pending investigation, copies of the police report are only released to authorised parties. In these states, third parties who were not involved in the crime can only obtain a copy of a police report once the matter is closed—once the case has been brought to court and a final decision on the outcome was reached.
You can obtain a copy of a police report after a case is over by going to the relevant court and requesting a copy. You should know the case number of the relevant case that you want to get the police report from because the court clerk will look up the file by case number.
In most states, you can find out the case number by using online criminal indexes or contacting the clerks office. There may be a charge for obtaining the case number directly from the clerks office. The court may also charge a copying fee when you request the police report.
In other states, parties can obtain copies of police reports by request from the police department, even when a case is pending. If you are unsure whether your state makes police reports available before or after a trial, contact your local police department or court clerks office to find out.
- Generally, during a pending investigation, copies of the police report are only released to authorised parties.
- In other states, parties can obtain copies of police reports by request from the police department, even when a case is pending.
What Type Of Information And Data Is Contained In A Police Report
The following are types of data and information that may be included in a police report. Please note that there is no universal police report. Information will vary from department to department.
- Identifying information for all parties involved in the incident, including full name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security numbers, driver license numbers
- Date of the occurrence or incident
- Location of the occurrence or incident
- The officers name and ID number
- The names of other officers who were present
- Diagrams or drawings of the scene
- The names of witnesses and their statements
- Reference number
The law enforcement case file may also contain motor vehicle information, as well as specific details of the incident and any evidence associated with the case.
Examples of police reports may include but are not limited to domestic disputes, traffic accidents, thefts, fraud, assault, burglaries, and stalking incidents. Other information that may be available includes crime surveys, crime statistics, calls for service, weather information, and traffic accident surveys.
Don’t Miss: How To Sign Up For Police Academy
How To Create An Esignature For The Police Report Template Blank Form Online
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to eSign your fillable police report template:
After that, your police report pdf is ready. All you have to do is download it or send it via email. signNow makes eSigning easier and more convenient since it provides users with a number of extra features like Merge Documents, Invite to Sign, Add Fields, and many others. And because of its multi-platform nature, signNow can be used on any device, desktop computer or mobile, regardless of the operating system.
How To Generate An Esignature For The Police Report Template Blank Form On Android Devices
In order to add an electronic signature to a fillable police report template, follow the step-by-step instructions below:
If you need to share the police report pdf with other people, you can easily send the file by email. With signNow, you can eSign as many files in a day as you need at a reasonable cost. Begin automating your signature workflows today.
Read Also: What Do You Do To Become A Police Officer
Get A Copy Of A Public Safety Report
You can get copies of public safety records from the Department of Records. This includes:
- Traffic accident reports .
- Police incident or offense reports.
- Fire reports.
- Emergency medical services reports.
- Police record checks.
- Letters of good conduct.
Some reports may contain confidential information and are not available to everyone. See the applications to learn about who can apply.
Stolen Car Police Report
If your car was stolen, it is strongly advised that you file stolen car police report. Not only does this catalyze the process of reclaiming your vehicle but it may keep you from being the responsible for any crimes committed with your car.
It is important to report a stolen car and obtain a police report so that you could also begin an insurance claim, even if you do not have comprehensive car insurance.
Read Also: How Much Does A Police Officer Make A Month
What’s In A Police Report
At the scene of the car accident, if you pay close attention you may notice the investigating officer inspecting vehicles, talking to people, measuring distances, writing notes, and taking photographs. The officer is taking some or all of these steps in preparation for drafting the police report. In short, the police report is a summary of the police officer’s investigation of the accident. The report will often contain some or all of the following information:
- approximate date, time, and location of the collision
- identifying information for parties involved in the car accident, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information
- identifying information for witnesses
- statements from the parties and witnesses
- citations and/or violations of law, and
- opinions as to cause of the collision and/or a fault determination.
How To Generate An Electronic Signature For The Police Report Template Blank Form On Ios Devices
To sign a fillable police report template right from your iPhone or iPad, just follow these brief guidelines:
After its signed its up to you on how to export your police report pdf: download it to your mobile device, upload it to the cloud or send it to another party via email. The signNow application is just as effective and powerful as the web tool is. Get connected to a smooth connection to the internet and start executing forms with a court-admissible electronic signature in minutes.
Read Also: When To Report Accident To Police
Are Police Reports Public Records
Many types of police records are exempt from public disclosure. There are two main reasons why they arent publicly available. First, disclosing the information could undermine an ongoing investigation. Second, it could jeopardize someones privacy and safety. In some cases, departments will release certain information related to the report, such as to a reporter doing a story. However, they rarely release a full copy.
Car Accident Police Reports
Car accident police reports are mandated in every state. This is because they happen so often and it is vital to keep drivers responsible through legal consequences.
Many states have laws in place to keep residents accountable and safe. These laws mandate getting a police report after an accident. Some states like Colorado require drivers to file a report even for minor fender benders.
On the other hand, states like Vermont mandate that drivers only need to make a car accident police report if the total damage, property or personal injury, is over $3,000. Most states require that you file within 10 days of the accident. Drivers who fail to make a report can get their license suspended or incur violation fines.
A complete and comprehensive accident police report includes the following information:
- Date, time and location of the accident
- Names, address, phone numbers car information and insurance information of all parties involved in accident
- Information that identifies witnesses
- Description of damage on vehicles and injuries
- Weather and road conditions at the site of the accident
- Statements from all parties involved in accident
- Citations given
- Opinion of cause of collision from all parties involved
Don’t Miss: Can I Become A Police Officer Without College
How Long Will It Take To Get A Copy Of A Report Once It Is Requested
- In most cases, if you attend in person to obtain a report, it will be prepared while you wait. If the report is incomplete , it will be released to you when it is completed. There may be an additional wait time for archived reports.
- Requests by mail will be responded to by mail as promptly as possible.
When And How To Make A Police Report
There are many situations in which it is important to know how to make a police report. You should always file one for any incident or disturbance that affects you or your property such as a robbery, vandalism or attack.
When it comes to vehicle property, it is your right and responsibility to inform the police if anything happens to it, especially on public property.
If someone steals any car valuables such as your license plate, registration card or tires, you are advised to file a police report as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, you may be enabling further crime.
Your can become the victim of theft if your car is stolen or broken into and burglarized. You should call your local police department immediately in regards to a stolen vehicle or any personal documents like car registration.
While there is no immediate deadline for these types incidents as there is for car accidents, to get your property back and prevent further crime, you should get a police report as soon as possible.
Recommended Reading: How To Become A Veterans Affairs Police Officer